I have leased a mare to breed for a foal. Vet checked her out before I leased her (flushed her, checked for cysts, uterine tone etc.) for breeding soundness. She passed with flying colours. Mare is 6 years old, has had one foal via AI two years ago where she conceived on the first insemenation. AI was done once last year (from the same stallion)and she did not settle, however the follicle was still hard so it was not done under the best of conditions however, they had ordered the semen and decided to use it anyway.
Fast forward to this year - mare was bred at the end of June via AI - vet was pleased with stallions semen quality (this is an entirely different stallion) - was at 60% and lots of motility. We HCG'd mare just to ensure ovaluation and inseminated her under great conditions - uterine tone was good, vet had papilated, follicle was good - nice and soft. The first attempt failed and she came back into heat - so mare was bred on next heat cycle - same thing except this time we gave her ovuplant and inseminated her - again under excellent conditions - and this time we inseminated her once and gave her ovuplant then followed up the next morning (semen was still good)with a second insemenation dose. Vet felt we were one this second one the "best we could possibly be".
Now it looks like she is coming back into heat. Sigh. After two failed AI attempts under great factors I am very leery of trying a third time this season - we had the best of conditions through two cycles and she didn't settle - I feel that trying a third time would prove fruitless.
Question is this - at what point do you just say - this mare is NOT going to get pregnant via AI even though everything points to no problems? Does anyone have any suggestions to try? I have purchased the breeding to a top stallion and have a lot of money invested in this breeding. Stallions seems to be settling his mares. Should I try with the same mare next spring? I could send her to the farm where the stallion is standing but it would cost me 3,000 plus to do so for shipping, board and vet care. Or should I lease a different mare? Is there any tests that can be done on the mare to see if she is having a reaction to the extender or developing antibodies to the stallions semen (both of which I have hear of)?
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 09:27 am:
Deb- Have you had a uterine biopsy taken? Has there been any cultures done or cytology reports? Even though everything looked and felt healthy, there may be problems that need to be addressed.
I would cover those bases fist. It may be something that can be dealt with quite successfully. After two insemenations under ideal circumstances, I would look to other possible causes. This is why I start breeding earlier in the year, it gives you time to breed and treat the mare if neccessary.
Now would be the time to biopsy, so you can make the best decision about whether to use this mare next year, give her and yourself the benefits that a biopsy and culture have to offer. They should answer your questions in short order. Good luck with it all.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: