OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pinching Off of Twin

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Pinching Off of Twin « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenoneTwinning - Is it geneticAnonymous01-09-02  09:36 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Judy Paul (164.58.10.126)
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took my mare for an ultrasound on 7/17/01 (16 days after cover) only to discover that she was carrying twins. The vet proceeded to pinch off one twin. I am to take her back around August 6th so he can again ultrasound to determine if she did retain one viable foal. Anyone know how successful this is and what the chances are that she will retain the one. Thanks.

Kelly (63.172.47.218)
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet that I work with commented on the number of twins that he had to pinch off this year. It was more than previous years and included breeds that are not prone to twinning. ( one was a Budweiser Clydesdale ) Anyway, he has had many successes with this proceedure in the past. It is a procedure that has been used in Equines quite successfully. You don't have too long to wait, good luck!

Horse Pro (207.144.178.19)
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy Paul that depends entirely on the practitioner and a number of other variables. Not the least of which is the mare in question. Practitioners who are very good, can often legitimately claim 80-90% success rates, while those who are less accomplished would feel fortunate to have a 50% success rate. However it must be noted that the majority of mares will resolve a twin situation on their own with no intervention. Pinching is certainly a way of insuring that no more than one vesicle will survive. Unfortunately sometimes it also results in the loss of both. In either case, I think the procedure is pretty much considered and industry standard. One consolation for you is that if your practitioner felt confident enough to perform the procedure. One must suspect that they have every reasonable expectation that it will be successful.

HP

Prue Critchley (205.200.254.109)
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have experience with ultrasound at 18 days showing that a mare is not pregnant only to have it later confirmed that she is pregnant? Are embryos able to hide in the uterus?? Do mares often produce follicles and ovulate during pregnancy.

Kelly (63.172.47.200)
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prue- It is possible, but an 18 day pregnancy is usually detectable. Depending on the condition of the uterus, yes, some embryos can be hard to find. ( cysts, etc.) Some mares can and do ovulate off of both ovaries, at times producing a twin pregnancy. Most mares do not show estrus during pregnancy, but some may. Displaying signs of estrus does not guarentee follicle activity.

Anonymous (66.12.92.252)
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prue,
I have 3 older mares (18, 19 and 24) that I routinely am unable to definately say they are pregnant until I can see a heartbeat at around day 25. The reason for this in these 3 mares is the presence of multiple large cysts.
On one of these mares, I was able to go in through the cervix on her 30 day heat and manually rupture some of her cysts. This has made it easier to detect early pregnancy.
On my older mare, she has to be on regumate, so the only way I know she is in foal is to wait and see if I can eventually see a heartbeat in there with all that mess. Frustrating. I have mapped her cysts, but they seem to change alot, so I end up having to wait.

On a mare that does not have multiple cysts in her uterus, an 18 day pregnancy is rarely, if ever missed by ultrasound.

Jos (142.177.70.2)
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18 day embryos can be and are missed when viewing by ultrasound. It's not a common occurrence, but it does happen. Ultrasonographer experience may play a part, but even then there is the occasional pregnancy that will be missed by even an experienced practitioner. It should be noted however, that uterine tone will have changed significantly by day 18 of pregnancy in most pregnant mares, and this should be a good initial indicator to the experienced technician.

Follicular activity during early pregnancy (<35 days) is not unusual, but is not universal and ovulation occurs rarely. After 35 days however follicular activity is not only present, but essential for pregnancy maintenance! The endometrial cups grow in around that time and they secrete eCG (also known as PMSG) which cause the production of secondary CL's in order to maintain elevated progesterone levels. These CL's are of course the result of follicular presence, some of which will actually ovulate while others will undergo a process called "luteinization" to achieve CL status.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US