OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ok... Should I have MY vet or a NEW vet recheck my TB mare???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Ok... Should I have MY vet or a NEW vet recheck my TB mare??? « Previous Next »

Mary (216.53.207.164)
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 4 year old TB mare was checked last week and found NOT in foal :o( by palpation & ultra sound.
Tomorrow IS her 21st. day and NOTHING. NO heat signs.
This mare was OVERLY friendly to my stallion (MAIDEN mind you who stood to be bred ...well, nearly BEGGED actually to be bred), is about to cremate my stallion any time he comes NEAR her. I've been letting them bump noses the last few days to see where she was.
Well, tonight she broke a board (luckily not his head) when he sniffed @ her she kicked REPEATEDLY and squealed. She is NOT a squealer either.

What do you think? Have MY vet back out to ultra sound? Or another vet? OR, just wait a few more days?

I've been keeping a 'heat journal' on her to see what her 'tells' are.
No spooking and galloping around like mad. No yelling to him back and forth ALL darn day. And NO FLIRTING whatsoever. And not even really 'winky' aside from the mare 'pee shake' (like men :o) ahem...ANY who. She is a PEE'er too from about 3 days priar to ovulating.
NOTHING....NONE of the above. And GRUMPY at my boy.

Should I wait a bit more? Or get someone out?

Thanks

:o)

Mary

Kelly (63.172.47.187)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When she was ultrasounded, your vet should have told you alot more than that she was not pregnant. Were there follicles coming on? What did it look like in there? Did she suggest to bred her in a few days? You should have been given more information.

I think that you have a handle on your mares reactions. You are very observant. It is easy to miss an early pregnancy. How comfortable are you with this vet? I would expect a vet to be more informative and thorough. Give it a few days (don't push the teasing to hard ), and then think about another ultrasound. I would be inclined to seek out a vet with more enthusiasm. It is getting on in the year, and you do want her bred.

Mary (216.53.217.158)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kelly. I was actually going to email you and see what you thought, but your email isn't linked up. Which I understand. :o)
Yes, the vet DID say she had a rather large follicle coming on (thought I mentioned that but now I see I didn't :o( And you ARE right, she doesn't seem to be overly enthused about this.
Another weird thing...she charged me $150.00 (standard stallion collection fee around here...using THEIR equipment) 1. We collected him off my mare. 2. She used MY AV. Yes, SHE may have been the one to put his penis IN it, but I think she could have cut the fee down a bit. And it was another 65.00 to AI the mare (which is fine as she then used HER equipment).
Any way...what should I say to another vet that I have in mind about this? I wouldn't slam the other vet, but should I ask him if he has any more room for clients...or just MAKE an appointment?
I didn't let them tease yesterday (they are in ajoining paddocks with hot wire in 2 different rows on the 4 board (5') board fencing), and she stayed off in the corners he can't get near ALL day. The same thing for today so far too.
Thanks Kelly...I'll stop rambling.

:o)

Mary

Kelly (63.172.47.204)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary- you may E-mail me at Kellyh@hctc.net any time. It is very frustrating to need the services of another, and be left hanging. It was a bit nervy of her to charge you for use of your own equipment. Once the doubt has set in, all else becomes suspect.

I would simply call up and make an appointment. You may start right off explaining to the new vet that you are having trouble getting this mare bred, and although you have not bred her repeatedly, it is getting on in the year. You feel that this is not the time to experiment, and need their guidence and knowledge to help you through this breeding. Ask questions from the beggining, and do not mention the other vet. They understand that not all people see eye to eye on all things. I will stress that asking questions no matter how insignificant they seem , is important. The right vet for you will not mind educating you on what you are in effect, paying for.

Try to have as much information for the new vet as possible. Times and dates of teasing, responses, and any breeding or medical treatment.On what day was the follicle at what size? This will need to be established, or you will pay for yet another ultrasound. This will help your vet determine on what day they will need to see your mare, or teasing should begin. They appriciate owners who take responsibiliy and understand the protocols. You are a good source of help and ultimately success for all.

You are on the right track, good luck with Hope.

Mary (216.53.217.158)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks yet again Kelly. :o) You really are helpful. I put in a call to the other vet I've been pondering and am going to wait and see. I looked back on the vet bill just to see what she wrote the day we bred them. The follicle was 40 mm. Is that good or should it be bigger? I'm SURE I'm wrong, but I just thought I read some where it should be bigger. Any way...thank you. :o)
And I added your email to my address book. Thanks!

Kelly (63.172.47.219)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every mare can differ. We have a mare here that will not go much past 37. 40 was big enough to have bred her and hit her with HCG. I am afraid that if she were at 40 more than 3 days ago, you have missed her. She would have probably teased in and standing on the day of the ultrasound.

That's O.K., get ready to breed. Another ultrasound is in order if you are not sure of the size and the date. Keep on top of it, you will get her this time! Book an appointment soon, and then have another date booked depending on the ultrasound.

I ship semen based on a 35 follicle. This is an exceptable size to base your appointments and breeding expectations. It is better to ultrasound early and follow the follicle , than miss it all together. HCG at a 35 or better will help insure a timely ovulation. There are no drawbacks to this proceedure. If the semen is present, conception should occur. It must be given within 24 hours of insemination to work. If you have a good sized follicle, I would inseminate and administer the shot then. Go get 'em.

Jess (207.179.149.243)
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare at 12 days with no pregnancy (AGAIN, and $3500 later) but a 35 follicle......WHat does this mean? She is usually a 20-21 day mare!!! She was given hormones the last cycle to bring her in heat, had a 38 follicle only, and did not conceive.

Danielle
Posted From: 152.163.253.66
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know where you live but where I am from the vets in town are honest and will tell you who is the best reproductively. Ask around.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US