OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare with a shelf.... to stitch or not to stitch

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Mare with a shelf.... to stitch or not to stitch « Previous Next »

Vivienne (212.17.32.170)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I am new to breeding. My mare is a maiden, 1/2 bread Irish Draught/Thoroughbread cross. She is 9 this year. She also has an irregular heartbeat. She has been scanned in foal and I have just brought her home from the stud.
She has a shelf but I am not sure as to how bad it is, or how bad it has to be before stitching would be preferable, however to describe her briefly, if not cleaned there would always be reminants of dung on her vulva.
I was wondering what the pros and cons of stitching are. Also she was scanned in foal at 18 days and I want to make sure that shes still in foal before I get her stitched but I have been told that too much scanning is not a good thing, are there any other ways that I can make sure everything is alright in there without scanning before she was to be stitched. She is 30 days gone on June 14th.

Horse Pro (63.119.170.39)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivienne any mare with conformational abnormalities such as described would benefit from a caslicks procedure.

I am not aware of any scientific basis for the supposition that frequent ultrasound procedures can in any way be harmful.

The irregular heart beat IMHO would only be of concern, if the mare is used in some strenuous athletic pursuit. It should have no negative effect on her ability to carry a fetus to term.

HP

Kelly (63.172.47.215)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest an ultra sound again at 30+ to make sure you have a fetal heartbeat, before you stitch her up.

Many mares can benefit from a caslick. I have found no drawbacks to this proceedure.

Make sure to have the caslick removed before foaling time is near, allowing enough time for it to heal a bit.

The ultra sound in itself is not harmful. Every time that that the instrument is inserted,there is a chance that internal damage may be done. It can happen, but most vets are very careful and take the neccessary precautions. The benefits far outweigh the problems.

Vivienne (212.17.32.170)
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a million for the quick response! I have decided to get her checked at 30 + days and all being well get her caslicked.

Only found this site yesterday but I think its brilliant!

Vivienne (212.17.32.170)
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

Since my last query re. Caslicks I have got my mare stiched; however a friend vetinarary surgeon
did it for me as a favour and it was not convenient at the time to do a scan beforehand. However I was not too worried about the scan going on the strength that she was scanned in foal at 18 days and since then has shown no signs to geldings in the next field which she normally would do if she was in season.

What I would like to know is would I be right in assuming :

1. The fact that she has not come into season since her return from the stud that she is still in foal.
(She has normally a very regular cycle)

2. And secondly that a scan on the 18th day would have determined whether or not there were twins there.
So I should be safe in the "Twin" area also???

What visible signs would you look for that would indicate a mare having absorbed?

Thanks

Vivienne

Kelly (63.172.47.191)
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not showing a cycle could mean that she is indeed still in foal, or that she has shut down for the season. Would she usually be cycling at this time of year?

The scan at 18 days would have shown twins if that were the case.

At this early in the pregnancy, a return to estrus would indicate an absorbtion. It would look like a regular heat cycle.

She should be about 60 days bred, correct? It would fairly easy for your vet to confirm a 60 day pregnancy. It sounds as if all is on the right track!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US