OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help!!! Need solution for covering mares that will not stand to be mounted!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Help!!! Need solution for covering mares that will not stand to be mounted! « Previous Next »

Angela (205.188.200.21)
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have 2 mares in for breeding. (not only has this never happened to me, now it's twice in the same week!). One mare will absolutly not stand still. When the stallion gets close to her, she takes off running. We have tried a little tranq. and tieing her front leg up so she can't run, so instead she reared straight up then took off. The other mare will let the stallion smell her and once he rears to get on her, she lets them fly! I need new hobbling ideas or how to get these mares standing to be bred! Both are obviously maiden mares.

kelly (63.172.47.192)
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela- I had my first mare, that refused to stand this year too. We now believe that besides being a maiden mare, vaginal tumors are to blame.

I would suggest aggressive teasing with a teasing stallion directly before presenting the mares for breeding. My teaser can reach over the fence and touch their back. He can not get over the fence, but they get used to seeing him raise up in the effort to touch them. This really helps maiden mares to expect the mounting from behind them. Once they will stand and accept the teaser, it makes everything much easier.

It will help to use a breeding hobble or a side line which inhibits movement from the hind legs.I will also use up to 2ccs of a mixed tranqulizer to take the edge off. I will suggest that you tease them at least once while tranquilzed, so they are familiar with that experience as well. After they catch on, less can be used each time. Maiden mares can be difficult, but with a little preparation, it can be made workable.

Good luck and be safe.

Corry Christoff-Wilson, DVM (64.199.2.17)
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, have you had them ultrasounded? It would be good to make sure there is no medical reason responsble.

Angela (205.188.199.154)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they both had ultrasounds, cultures and biopsies before coming to my farm. Thanks for all the tips. I may also try a breeding wall.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US