I have a 11 yo TB mare who absorbed this year. Culture shows yeast infection. My vet recommends "sell her". This mare has had 2 live foals and aborted 1 set of twins. I'd really like to get another foal from her. Has anyone had success in clearing a yeast infection and successfully foaling afterwards?
Yeast infections can be and are often the most difficult reproductive infections to both diagnose and deal with. Simply because of their nature of flourishing and being the most active in the mare´s uterus while the cervix is closed. Making direct prolonged inter-uterine treatment difficult at best. In addition typically these mares will conceive normally then on or about 30-40 days typically when the endometrial cups form, will spontaneously abort as a result of the yeast infection being it´s strongest at this point.
However I have had good luck using the same products that are designed for use in human females for the same purposes. Like Femstat 3, Gyne-Lotrimin, Gynecort, Monistat, Mycelex, and Vagistat-. The success of the products will be greatly enhanced if systemic Immunostimulants are used in conjunction. Products such as, EQ-Stim or EQUIMUNE I. V. The obvious reason being that yeast has a very hard time gaining a foothold in a body with a strong immune system. I feel strongly that trying to achieve a strong immune system in these mares is key to dealing effectively with this problem.
This is certainly something that should be discussed in detail with a reproductive specialist before any action is taken.
Jos may be able to offer some more current information along this line.
I have a mare we are trying to breed. Her original culture was no growth and we bred her (fresh cooled) in Nov. She didn't take. This spring the stallion was unavailable and we bred her with frozen. She had a big reaction to the frozen (lots of fluid production). My vet worked with the woman who shipped the frozen (not the breeder). She used oxytocin I think twice. The fluid became cloudy and she then flushed her with antibiotic. She did not take. We cultured her again and did a cytology. The culture grew light Pseudomonas and moderate yeast. Two wks later, we cultured again. I need to add here that I am a Medical Technologist and have access and knowledge of microbiology. I took this culture in myself. It was set up late in the day, and so I asked it to be held an extra day. At 48 hrs it was no growth, but on the following morning it had grown 5 colonies of yeast. We treated her again, and at 48 hrs it was no growth, and at 60-72 hrs it grew 2 colonies of yeast. Am I doing myself a service or a disservice in having the culture held??? I started the mare on Fastrack (lactobacillus supplement) after the first culture. We think it helped with getting rid of the Psudomonas. This last time we added ImmuSun (WGP Beta Glucan). We reculture tomorrow. My vet appt is at 4:30, so again the culture will be set up late. Do I have it read at the 48 hrs and go with that or hold it over another day to see if the yeast grows? Will that small amount of yeast growing after that length of time still cause a problem if we breed the mare?
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:01 am:
Both yeasts and Pseudomonas spp. are "opportunistic organisms" - meaning that they will take advantage of whatever opportunity is offered them to become established. This suggests to me that your mare may have some sort of compromised immune function - either systemically, or structurally, so those areas may be useful to evaluate. Another question springs to mind, and that is to ask whether she had been previously treated for another (perhaps more common) organism, as both yeast and Pseudomonas spp. often constitute a "superinfection" situation which can develop after treatment with antibiotic for another pathogen.
Identification of a yeast infection is often missed on a standard culture, as there may not be growth present at the 48 hour reading point, so you are correct in requiring a longer duration.
Suitable treatments are outlined above by HorsePro, and I would also add the possibility of repeated intra-uterine infusion with dilute grapefruit seed extract may prove beneficial in clearing the problem[s].
Something you are not saying is what does the cytology look like on these later swab samples? Are you still seeing high numbers of neutrophils or other inflammatory cells?
As far as yeast presence being a future problem - absolutely! You want to clear this before even contemplating breeding.
To my knowledge, the mare has not been previously treated for infection. The original owner who bred her said she was very easy to get pregnant. She had no problems with live cover. I'm sorry I forgot to mention the cytology. There were no abnormalities seen on the cytology. When the last culture was obtained, it was done here at my farm, and the vet had forgotten slides. When we culture again tomorrow I will be sure and have the cytology done. Thank you for your input!!!
When treating a mare that has been diagnosed with a yeast infection with the human products, do you infuse them with it? I have a mare in to breed that had a culture come back positive for yeast infection, and she is to be bred via shipped semen. She was not in heat when she got here, so we gave a prostin shot to bring her in so we can begin treatment. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: