My vet had a difficult time getting through MY 4 year old TB maiden mare's hymen. NOW I am afraid that her foal could get caught on the remnants of the membrane and have a (proper phrasing?) Recto-vaginal fistula. I KNOW I am being paranoid, but I DID lose my first foal. I read as many books...watched as MANY videos and was in CONSTANT contact with a breeder friend of mine (she's been breeding horses for as long as there HAVE been horses *L*), and I KNEW that once the bag was out...if I didn't have more than two little feet...there was a problem. So I called my vet. He sort of laughed it off as 'first time foal jitters' and said that she would continue to push the foal's feet in and out until she was fully dilated. Uh huh...NEVER read, watched, OR heard THAT one. So I think...he's the vet, right? Give it ten minutes. So I did. And I called him again. Answering service of COURSE. So he calls back (I DID call ANOTHER vet who I waited on calling back as well during this time), THIRTY minutes later. And says he's over an hour away. STILL NO progress with the foal. I won't go into detail, but after getting my poor old (nearly 80 year old) breeder friend out of bed at 4am...who told me to go in there and FEEL how the shoulders were on the foal. Squared up as could be. LONG story short...by the time MY stinking EX vet got there, the foal was dead, we were loaded up to go to the Uni as the mare had gone into shock once and stopped breathing for a few seconds until I threw a bucket of water in her face and pounded on her side. It was a COMPLETE HORROR. One which swore me off of foaling FOR a LONG time. The mare also ended up having to have the placenta removed as she would NOT pass it and nearly foundering. This was a GORGEOUS 17.3 h.h. Danish FEI PSG mare I nearly lost along with her breath taking filly. Needless to say...I am TERRIFIED of ANYthing like this happening again. I know in breeding you lose foals from things beyond your control...but NOT in SUCH a needless way as the shoulders just needing to be off centered. (it WAS a BIG foal and it DID take the vet quite a few minutes to reposition her to be able to PULL her out with the help of my Dad.)
I know you had a bad experience, but that does not mean that this mare will have trouble. She COULD, of course, and yes, you need to have a vet that is willing to come out. But be forewarned. In a true foaling emergency, the foal's window is MINUTES before they die. They do not tolerate dystocia (abnormal positions) for any length of time.
I don't think that the hymen remnants will be a problem. Those membranes are very thin, and a foal's legs should go through without difficulty. But now you know what to watch for if there is a problem, so you will know when to INSIST that the doctor come out. Do not be afraid to do that if you feel there is a problem. And make sure you have a vet willing to come on an emergency!
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 12:49 am:
You certainly have good cause to be apprehensive. It was a terrible time for you and your mare to go through.
May I suggest that this time, you take her to a clinic to be foaled out. That is their job, and they will be prepared for the worst. It would relieve you of the worry and assure you that a vet will be in attendance.
The stress and anxiety that you are going through is not worth it. It will cost a bit more, but then again, a positive outcome is well worth it.
les joiner Posted From: 220.127.116.11
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:23 pm:
I agree with kelly, I've been around those who invited their friends, inlaws, parents, and anyone else that's available. Then there are those who make foaling quite a show especially if there's a rookie in the house. there must be no noise, complete silence, mood lighting, 24/7 video monitoring thirty days prior to the event and in the event any one shows up, owner customer, whatever they get to hike up the hill so as not to disturb. The clinic takes the worry out of being close, and eliminates the need to deal with some stable manager that isn't quite sure how they want it. Enjoy the baby.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: