OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2B uterus in mare status post ovariectomy

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 2B uterus in mare status post ovariectomy « Previous Next »

K Southard
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I am trying to breed an 8 year old QH/TB mare who has had her first foal and only foal in 1999. In trying to get her in foal in 1999 an ovarian tumor was discovered and removed in August 99 (it was the size of a volley ball). In Spring 2000 the mare did not cycle normally, her remaining ovary was "tiny" and inactive. Finally in July, she started to cycle, but her follicles were never bigger than 20. Despite that she was bred AI 2 times because these small follicles did appear to ovulate, no foal. A biopsy done in 2000 showed 2B, culture was clean and she was treated with antibiotic and DMSO for a uterine infectin. I did not breed her after this treatment as it was already September. At the start of 2001 I decided to have her biopsied again before I decided whether to try her this year. Again her culture was clean but her biopsy remained 2B with "some" scar tissue. She did show good signs of estrus when teased and had a "humongous" 40 follicle. Since it looks like she is cycling normally, and has excellent tone according to my vet, I decided to try her one more time. She is due to come into season this week. The plan is to flush her with saline, as my vet is reluctant to use irritating substances on a uterus that is already chronically irritated. Then she will be AI'd (hopefully one time--stallion is incredibly fertile) then Oxytocin administered 4 hours post insemination then she will be re-flushed 12 hours later and then given Oxytocin 2 times a day for 3 - 4 days then Regumate will start on the 5 day after insemination. What do you think of my chances of getting a foal out of this mare? Should the Oxytocin be given more often? This mare is a cribber (miracle collar is effective except at meal time), should I have her sewn up in case she is pulling in environmental irritants? Thank you.

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oxytocin use could be increased to every 6 hours post-breeding starting at 4 hours PB, and pausing only for one treatment at the point where you might want to give a low-volume broad spectrum antibiotic infusion.

A Caslick's procedure will often work wonders in this type of mare too.

Good luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US