OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pseudomonis Infection in 21 year old mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Pseudomonis Infection in 21 year old mare « Previous Next »

S. Wisner
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 21 year old mare that foaled last September, but when she failed to settle this season we had her cultured. She is carrying a pseudomonis (sp.?) infection which my vet has indicated is resistant to all antibiotics except possibly Amakacin which is exorbitantly expensive. Has anyone had experience with this type of infection and breeding their mare?

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa is one of the bacteria most commonly isolated from the mare's reproductive tract.

When the culture sample was evaluated, a "sensitivity" test should have been performed to determine which antibiotics the bacteria found were sensitive to (i.e. should be treated with). Amikacin is one of those that is most commonly used to successfuly treat Pseudomonas spp. You should perhaps ask your vet what other antibiotics were shown on the sensitivity report to be possibly useful, if there are none then Amikacin should be used.

Good luck - Pseudomonas is a particularly unpleasant organism to deal with.

Anonymous (208.16.230.54)
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, just wanted to say Pseudomonas is a nasty infection to deal with. About 2yrs old my 6 yr old AQHA mare had that infection 4+, the medication used was Amakcin. I need have a 14 mo., old filly. The Amakcin is costly but it is worth it. My vet is excellent. He treated Antiqua 3 times (every other day) did a culture 1 week after and she clean and ready to breed. So my advise would be use the Amakcin. Antiqua had some other infections along with pseudomonas. Good luck!!!!!!

Kelly (63.172.47.180)
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had many mare owners who were annoyed at my request for cultures in preparation for breeding. Too many believe that a young, or maiden mare can not be infected. ( many vets as well )You are a case in point. It can happen, and when dealing with a nasty one such as Pseudomonas, it is no time to skimp on medication!

I am glad that your vet was on top of it for you!

Horse Pro (207.144.178.68)
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest that you ask your vet to check into alternative sources, (ie) compounding labs for a generic form of Amikacin sulfate. It's ~1/2 the cost of the Fort Dodge product.

Anonymous (208.16.230.84)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It cost me $ 250.00 to treat my mare. By using Amikacin non generic. Myself I don't use the generic drugs because they are not the samething. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly (63.172.47.219)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Anonymous, some of the generic products just do not seem to do the trick. When it is important, stick to the brand names.

Horse Pro (207.144.178.47)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK letís clear up a few misconceptions here. Your concerns may very well be true when it comes to Nutraceuticals, but not when it comes to federally licensed drugs. Any federally licensed, pharmaceutical manufacturer, pharmacy or compounding lab. Must follow the same guidelines set down by the FDA/DEA.

Having said that, The antibiotic Amikacin (IS) the generic. The drug that is so expensive, is Amiglyde-V made by Forth Dodge. It sells to veterinarians only, for ~$125 to $150 per 48ml vial. Why 48ml and not 50ml is still a puzzle to me, itís sold in a 50ml vial. It just contains 48ml. Anyway that works out to about $2.50 per ml vet cost.

Now the compounded product usually sells for ~$75. per 100ml. That works out to about $0.75 per ml. All the products from other manufacturers or from a compounding lab contain exactly the same mg/ml concentration of the active ingredient, which BTW is the only part that works. The inactive ingredients are preservatives and coloring agents and have no bearing on the efficacy of the drug.

I can tell you from personal experience of using both the brand name and the generic forms on both reproductive and systemic infections in literally hundreds of cases. There is only one noticeable difference in the products and that is the cost. Thatís not just my opinion thatís the opinion of a great many very good practitioners as well. And no before you say it, I am not a veterinarian and in every case I was acting with the full knowledge of and under the direction of a licensed veterinarian.

Below you will find the product information that is available to anyone who is interested in searching it out.

Generic Name

Amikacin

Brand Name(s)

Amiglyde-V, Amikacin C Injection, Amiject D.

Type of Drug

Aminoglycoside antibiotic

Form and Storage

Injectable

Store vials at room temperature.

Indication for Use

Treatment of susceptible bacterial infections not responsive to more commonly used antibiotics.

General Information

Available by prescription. Used to treat serious gram negative infections that are resistant to other aminoglycosides. A culture and sensitivity test should be performed to verify the need for amikacin due to the seriousness of problems the medication could cause. Aminoglycosides are bacteriocidal.

HP

Kelly (63.172.47.221)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found that in some cases, by using the brand name, you have more security by way of backing the product. The brand names need to keep a good public relation campaign going on, so they are more prone to keeping the public happy.

There was a specific case here last year in which a generic dose was possibly faulty. They did nothing to replace or investigate the complaint. The brand name, which was also used, attempted to replace and investigate the problem. They were very concerned about their image and product use. It can be a leverage when needing answers and help. They sell so many more products as a rule, that they do not want to lose the public support or confidence.

Other than that, with federally licensed drugs, I agree.

Knows a little to (12.82.239.102)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Message from the Web Site Owner

As the post made by "Knows a little to" (sic) was once again a post that was unpleasant and argumentative in content, I have removed this and all subsequent posts and am declaring this subject thread closed.

If further posts from this person continue to abuse the polite manner required to post on this board, ALL posts from the ISP 12.82.235.52, which is a dial up access server from Houston using AT&T, and which can be specifically traced to a single ISP user - "Knows a little to" - will be blocked.

Positive debate needs not transcend the lines of politeness. If you can't debate politely, and with specific reference to the subject matter, don't come here.

Regards to all,

Jos

Anonymous (208.16.230.70)
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S.Wisner--- Good luck that infection is very nasty and I wish you alot of luck in the world. Just don't forget to do wants best for your horse friend. Me personally I don't believe in generic drugs for my own reasons. Reguardless what others say do wants best for you. I used that Amakacin (non-generic) on my mare and it worked. One thing a found out is to disinfect her stall with bleach water or something because pseudomonus can live in anything. I do know that I also work at a Zoo very day I have to disinfect the stalls and the ground. Good Luck!!!

TUMBLEWEED (152.163.197.199)
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used them both and have found them both very effective.The first step is to have your mare cultured...Good Luck
Tumbleweed

Becky Cash
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had my maiden mare cultured at 8 years old to breed her. She came back with it. I had a 2nd culture done with a diff. lab. The same results. The article on this site about doing a cytology smear along with a culture makes sense. The part about treating a mare that cultures positive for pseudomonas, may not be good if the culture results indicate that my mare has the presence of the pathogen in a commensal state. What exactly does commensal state mean? I also bred my 24 year old mare and she aborted at 6 months. She had not been cultured. Could she have had Pseudomonas that caused her to abort? Would love more info.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US