OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ultrasound unable to detect folicular activity, mare ovulated 36 hours later

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Ultrasound unable to detect folicular activity, mare ovulated 36 hours later « Previous Next »

Anni Ross
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to AI my mare. This mare lost twins on March 12. She was in heat on March 20. 21 days later April 9 teased in heat...about a 3 score.Two days later teased in with a 4 score. 20 days later same thing, April 28. (she never does hit a 5). Two days later she scored a 4 and I took her to the vet. He Ultrasounded her and questioned her being in heat. He said that she did not have a dominant follicle. There was one that was between 25-26 but no signs of her being in estrus.I left her ther. She was ultrasounded 36 hour later and had just ovulated. I want to AI this mare. It was suggested that I short cycle the mare. If I do that I think that I will mess up what has been a fairly predictable heat cycle, and I don't have to have an "early" foal.And if I short cycle the mare and everything else is the same then by the time the vet see's that we need to order the semen it will be to late.Remember that there was nothing there at 36 hours befor she ovulated. I am thinking about ordering the semem strictly by my teasing scores. When the mare hits a 4, I would order it.This mare has allways been pasture bred. Do you think I have any chance of setteling the mare this way or do you have any sugestions. Help would be apreciated.

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares do not develop a large follicle (greater than 35 mm) before ovulation, although they are rare. Other signs that are often present on ultrasound such as edematous folds of the uterus, "pear shaping" of the follicle, or thickening of the follicular wall are also not always present and therefore may mislead one by being absent. You do indicate that this mare did ovulate, but I would suggest that you absolutely confirm this, as if she is not building a large follicle, it may also be regressing rather than ovulating. A progesterone assay that shows levels greater than 1 ng/ml will prove the presence of a CL and therefore that ovulation did occur.

If timing of breeding for an early foal is not essential, and all of the above is verified, you may indeed be well advised to follow your mares previous estrus pattern and breed at the point you would have done on those previous occasions, as mares do follow a regular pattern of estrus once transitional phase is passed and regular breeding season is occurring.

Anni Ross
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your response. I do have another question about AI'ing this mare with cooled semen. I relize that if you are shipping cooled semen you want to have it arive as close to ovulation as possible. Just how long after collection can you safley wait until using the semen. I was told that this stallion has had a good record; ship's well.
Since I will have to rely on this mares teasing score for ordering the semen I need to know how long befor she ovulates it will be safe to have the semem on hand.
If it is collected and shipped out on a Monday morning, for example, how long would it be safe to wait until inseminating in the mare.
Also how long does the semen live once it has been inseminated, on avarage.Thank you for all of your help Jos.

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the questions you ask have variable answers depending upon the animal involved, but generally semen will still be viable if inseminated 24-48 hours after collection - but the further away the less viable it becomes.

Exactly how long it remains viable once inseminated is equally difficult to say, but if you figure on about 24 hours you should be safe (this of course may vary further if the semen was in transit longer).

I must stress again that there is terrific stallion variability in these figures and some stallions will easily go double this time, whereas others won't achieve half.

Good luck.

Anni Ross (207.177.53.78)
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on my mare
We were able to detect heat by ultrasounding this mare after teasing her on her following cycle. We had the semen shipped and when we got it she had ovulated. Went ahead and inseminated and she got bred. No signs of twins. Thanks for your information.

AR (207.177.53.84)
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On April 18,2002 our mare had a "big" stud colt. Unfortunatly the stallion she was bred to died a couple of months ago so there will not be any more opertunity to breed to him. Thanks for all of the information. I sure enjoy this site.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US