OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Problem mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Problem mares « Previous Next »

Gavin Christie
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jos,

I have written before and thanks again for the info. I have purchased an older mare from a reputable farm in Ontario and the manager reaffirmed her breeding soundness to me. She has missed a few times in recent years and slipped her 2001 foal in Jan. Before breeding her back I had her ultrasounded and 5-6 cysts were found on her uterus. I realize that she is done and have called the farm back to let them know of her poor condition and my dissatisfaction. They claim however, that she will carry to term, yet my vet says 45 days max. Just a last ditch attempt at some advice from you regarding this situation. (ovaries are fine nice follicle etc.) She also had a foal in 2000. What can be done for her? Am I correct in saying that these cysts don't develop overnight?

Thanks
Gavin Christie

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The presence of uterine cysts are often not a problem with establishment or maintenance of pregnancy. In fact some mares have so many that an ultrasound will show an almost "Swiss-cheese" effect in the endometrium.

What is significant is the location and size of the cysts. If they are large enough to prevent mobility of the conceptus during the first 16 days after ovulation, then the mare will probably return to estrus and consequently loose the pregnancy. If the cysts are close to the cervix, there may be a compromising of the cervical seal, which could cause pregnancy loss.

To reiterate though - the simple fact that cysts are present does not in itself indicate the mare will be unable to maintain a pregnancy. Size and location are the issue.

If it is determined that a cyst requires removal because of size or location, several methods have been used, with varying success, including laser, puncturing of the cyst with biopsy forceps, aspiration with a large bore needle, use of DMSO intra-uterine and several other techniques (these are the most common). But as I say - if the cysts are not large or placed in such a way as to interfere, you are probably going to be able to get the mare pregnant and have her maintain pregnancy with no problem. As the farm indicates that they have done this in 2000, they are probably quite right and you have little cause for concern. It is extremely unlikely that a cyst would cause a late term pregnancy loss (which I'm guessing a loss in January would have been), but other factors are more likely - was the placenta evaluated?

Hope this helps.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US