OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Older mare-(twinning, stillborn foals, etc)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Older mare-(twinning, stillborn foals, etc) « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has had 7 foals- 3 sets of twins. She had stillborn twins last time- but before that 2 healthy twins- and even before that 1 stillborn and one lived.

I heard from her previous owner (who had the stillborn twins) that she was pasture bred. They didn't check to see if she was in foal, just hoped for the best. My mare wasn't kept on Regumate or anything like that.

I know if she twins again we can abort one- and have her on regumate. I'd like any suggestions for having this mare foal successfully. She IS older. However, the other owners didn't take any precautions to make sure she would carry to term. She had the stillborns alone, BTW.

Jos
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure that you have your mare ultrasounded at 14 or 15 days after ovulation and have a twin (if present) "pinched off" then. If there is no sign of a twin at that stage, have her ultrasounded again at about day 25 to 29 after ovulation to make sure - sometimes they are missed early on.

Twinning in a mare is often repeated, so always be on guard for this if you see a history of double ovulations or twins in a mare.

Good luck!

Dawn Nuttall (198.81.17.164)
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On July 11, 2001, I successfully bred my 9 year
old Skipper W mare to a jack.

My DMV ultrasounded her at 40 plus days, she is
pregnant with twins. On Sept. 4th we will have
her ultrasounded again to see if she has absorbed
one or if the foal has shrunk.

The mare is a healthy quarter horse and has delivered 2 foals without any problems.

Although I will NOT jeopardize the health of this
mare, what information is out there in regards to
"pinching off" after 40 plus days.

Also, any information with reference to a full term pregnancy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Noble Knight (206.157.249.122)
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dawn. As you probably already know, pinching off one embryo is usually done within 30 days and is confirmed by a second US within that time. I have heard of it being done at 45 days with small embryos that are still at the base of the uterine horn but, at 45-50 days the embryo is normally growing within the horn and uterus, and crushing it is not an option.

If your mare has not naturally aborted/absorbed one of the twins by 60 to 70 days, the only option I know of is a potassium chloride injection into one of the twin's after about 120 days. You should monitor the pregnancy with several ultrasounds whenever/however a twin is aborted.

Even though your mare has delivered with no problems, it is considered rare to deliver full term twins. In most mares, the uterus is not able to support 2 fetuses and abortion commonly occurs at 7 to 9 months. If not, usually one or both foals are stillborn. Also other complications can arise for the mare and foal/s (compromised breeding soundness, injury/infection, premature foal, etc.) and most people just don't like to take those chances.

Let us know what you and your vet come up with.

Kelly (63.172.47.208)
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dawn- It is with scenarios like this that I have decided to always ultrasound before 30 days. You never know when these things can happen.

Hopefully, the ultrasound today, will answer your questions and relieve some of your worries. I will tell you that mule twins are heartier than twin horse foals. There is a better chance that the mules foals will survive, over twin horses foals.

This is a situation that you will want to avoid again in the future. Mares that twin, are more likely to do so again. Keep this in mind the next time that you bred her, and ultrasound at 16 days. Let us know how it all turns out. Good luck.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US