OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When and How Often?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » When and How Often? « Previous Next »

Samantha Meadows
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep getting conflicting information regarding heat cycles...their length...regularity...

What I would like to know is at what point in the heat cycle is it best to breed my pony mare? I have been told to stand her every day, and I've been told to only stand her every other day. What is the length of the average heat cycle? I've been a horse owner for 20 years, but have never been seriously into breeding, so this information has never been critical until now. I know when my mares are due to come in and when they go out, but as that I don't breed, I've never paid close attention. How many days are there between heat cycles? I've been told 28 and I've been told 21.

Any information would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jos
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entire cycle is approximately 21 days - that is from ovulation to ovulation.

Estrus ("heat") lasts approximately 5 to 7 days and most mares ovulate in the last 24 to 48 hours of estrus.

Diestrus - that stage in between "heat", is therefore about 14 to 16 days.

Generally the mare should be bred on an every-other-day basis starting on the third or fourth day of "standing heat" (which is the stage at which she will accept the stallion) until she rejects tha stallion's advances. Breeding more often than avery other day, except in special circumstances (with a subfertile stallion for example) will usually not produce a greater chance of pregnancy and in fact may well reduce the chances owing to a greater post-breeding uterine inflammatory response.

Hope this helps.

danielle (152.163.201.193)
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what does it mean if the mare is on day 10 of her heat?? what does it meant if she STILL is holding her tail up, spreading her legs, urinating and winking when she is teased???????

Kelly (63.172.47.180)
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suspect a persistant follicle.

Karen (209.206.253.75)
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how long can a persistant follicle hold on?
I have a 19 year old paint mare who has been in heat for 10 days. Haven't had any problems before now, however she had trouble passing her afterbirth when she foaled. Didn't try to breed her on foal heat as she hasn't settled on foal heat the last three years. However her 30 day heat started at approx. 21 days after foaling and still seems to be going strong. Any ideas?

Kelly (63.172.47.205)
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would give her a shot of HCG to stimulate ovulation. Make sure to give it to her within 24 hours of the last cover.

Jos (142.177.6.180)
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen:

Before using hCG I think I would feel inclined to have this mare ultrasounded to establish what the follicular status of her ovaries are.

It is possible that she is not in fact in true estrus, but is merely responding in a submissive behavioural pattern. If this were the case, you would find no large follicle present and may in fact find a CL. Another alternative would be to run a blood-progesterone assay if ultrasound is not available to you. Presence of progesterone will indicate that an active CL is present and she is therefore demonstrating estrus as the submissive behavioural manner rather than showing a true physiological estrus.

Kelly (63.172.47.198)
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ideally, I would agree with Jos. If you have an ultrasound available to you, great.

However, as this is your first attempt this year to breed her, I would be inclined to administer the HCG myself. No harm done.

If she does not respond, I would then schedule an ultrasound or a blood-progestrone assay. It may be as easy as giving her a shot. I would try the HCG first then look to other causes. You may save time and money.

I would suggest an early ultrasound at 15 days or so to see just where you stand. If she is pregnant, fine. If she is not, you can then examine her further.

Karen (209.206.253.120)
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the info. Went out in the morning to tease, and both she and the stallion are no longer interested in each other. Will wait till approx. day 18 and have u/s done!

PAUL (152.163.207.212)
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2001 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I own a mare and a gelding. I would like to breed the mare thru A.I. How can you tell when she is in heat? She winks after urination. Is this a sign that she is in heat? It seems to me that she winks all the time after urination. What other signs should I look for?

PAUL (152.163.207.212)
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2001 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I own a mare and a gelding. I would like to breed the mare thru A.I. How can you tell when she is in heat? She winks after urination. Is this a sign that she is in heat? It seems to me that she winks all the time after urination. What other signs should I look for?

Kelly (63.172.47.203)
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2001 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Each mare us unique, but some signs are similar.

They can wink longer and more frequently, raise the tail higher or more to one side than usual. You may notice that the tail is dirty and there seems to be a residue on the genital area. They may buddy up with another horse and appear more interested in them. They may become more vocal and active. Some get darn right goofy!

The point here is, observe your mare and you will start to notice subtle changes. With some mares, subtle changes may be your only clue!

Breeding with A.I., you are best served to ultrasound her and track her developement. Your vet will be able to tell you when she will be breedable, by checking her ovaries for follicles.

Michele (216.210.199.18)
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to sound dumb, but what is HCG and does the vet have to prescribe it?

Kelly (63.172.47.136)
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will have to get it from your vet. It signals ovulation. I give the HCG within 24 hours of the last breeding. If the sperm is viable for 48 hours after breeding, you would want for ovualtion to occur within that time frame.

By giving the HCG, you insure that ovulation has occured. It will not work if the follicle is not developed enough, and it will not harm your mare. It is very heplful when shipping semen, as you can ultrasound the mare and determine the size of the follicle then administer the HCG. When the semen is inseminated, the follicle is ready to go.

Kelly (63.172.47.136)
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will have to get it from your vet. It signals ovulation. I give the HCG within 24 hours of the last breeding. If the sperm is viable for 48 hours after breeding, you would want for ovualtion to occur within that time frame.

By giving the HCG, you insure that ovulation has occured. It will not work if the follicle is not developed enough, and it will not harm your mare. It is very heplful when shipping semen, as you can ultrasound the mare and determine the size of the follicle then administer the HCG. When the semen is inseminated, the follicle is ready to go.

Marilyn Lee-Hannah (64.230.199.194)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are in the process of attempting to breed my 4 year-old-TB off the track. Had her ultrasounded to see where she was in her cycle, large follicle seen and measured and vet recommended breeding her within 12 hours and then administering HCG. All was done as per plan. Five or 6 days later she showed some slight clear discharge and some "winking". No signs since. We are approaching day 15 when we will ultrasound to see if she has caught. Could these post breeding signs indicate she has not caught?

Kelly (63.172.47.246)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She could be showing submissive behaviors. Many mares react to the breeding process by showing to other horses until maternal recognition or sometimes during the entire pregnancy. You do not have long to wait now!

Observe her reactions, and it will help you during future breeding seasons. Mares tend to display the same behaviors year after year. We have a mare that will instantly "mother"up and want to be touched only when pregnant. We can tell before the ultasound can that she is in foal. They all have their diffent reactions.

Marilyn (64.230.199.194)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Kelly. I know we don't have long to wait...thank goodness. I am just a little over anxious as this mare was to have trained for the hunter ring but a chip in her ankle and subsequent slight loss of flexibility has now made "brood mare" her saving grace...we are keeping our fingers crossed that her offspring will be the show horse she could/should and would have been had racing not taken its toll...

Michele (216.210.199.18)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly - thanks for the info. Now the problem is - she hasn't come back into season. The vet ultrasounded her (no foal), cultured her (clean) and gave her Estrumate over 3 weeks ago and she still hasn't come back in. Very Frustrating!
I have Regumate ready to give her after her last cover day, but I'm beginning to think she'll never come in season again.
Do many mares not respond to Estrumate?

Stephanie Genovese (130.203.167.175)
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn and Michelle
I just posted "Bred, not pregnant--still waiting for next heat"
and I saw your notes about 1. Clear fluid about a week post breeding 2. no foal and *still* not back in heat.

I have experienced both.
About a week after my mare was bred I noticed a slight clear fluid and wondered if it was a sign. At day 17, I was told no foal and no follicle. She has been back with stallion since day 20 and now, at day 24, she is still not in heat.
Any news on your mares since your last posts?
Stephanie

Michele (209.78.32.130)
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie
Good news here - my mini is finally in foal. After a very long time (1 1/2 months after Estrumate)she came in season and took.
She is about 40 days in foal now and we have ultrasound pics at 17 and 30 days.
She was put on Regumate the day after I last covered her - that seems to be the trick for this mare. The only other time she took was when the breeding farm put her on Regumate after the last cover.
Good luck.

Anonymous
Posted From: 69.149.170.67
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased 20 broodmares in the fall sale to breed to two studs. One stud is 10 years old and the other is 4 years old. Both studs had full books the previous year. November 15th all 20 mares were placed under lights. January 15th all mares were placed on Regumate for 14 days. On Janurary 29th mares were taken off Regumate and palpated every other day until a 20 -25 mm follicle was detected. The mares were immediately bred. Only two of the 20 mares conceived what did I do wrong.

Anonymous
Posted From: 130.36.62.125
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 -25 mm follicle is fairly small for breeding purposes. Many mares do not ovulate until they have a 35 to 40 mm follicle. You may have bred too early. Did you continue to breed every other day until the mare wouldn't stand (if it was live cover) or were you doing AI. If it was AI, you bred way too early.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US