OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare overdue and not producing milk

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Mare overdue and not producing milk « Previous Next »

Valerie Evans
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 14 year old quarter horse mare that is pregnant with her first foal. Her due date was Last Weds, April the 18th. She is almost a week over due, and is very large. I have never seen a mare this big before. My question is this, she is showing all the signs of preparing to have her foal, she has dropped, and had pulled away from the withers, her back end has become soft also. The problem that worries me is that she doesnt seem to be producing any milk. She has bagged up a bit, but not as much as she will need to feed this foal.

She is fed good quality hay that we grow ourselves and also gets 2 large scoops of 16% sweetfeed twice daily with her Mare Plus vitamins. She has been on her vitamins since she was bred. The weather here has been up and down, warm one day, cool the next. I know weather can play a role in the foaling process, but I am not sure how much longer it is safe to let her go. I have put a call into my vet and am waiting to hear from him regarding this, but I thought there may be someone here that can tell me either I am being paranoid, or whether I should be concerned.

My horse is like my child, I love her to death and only want the best for her. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Christine
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello!
Let mother nature take it's course. My mare went 2and a half weeks over due with a healthy foal. As to her milk problem some mares don't let their milk down till the foal is born. But check with your vet first to be sure.

Good Luck and happy foaling!!!!

John Colang
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a draft cross mare, 5 years old, who is about 6 weeks overdue. She is very large, her bags are not full, but she's very soft under the tail. My vet checked her a few weeks back and said that it was OK that she was late. My question is how many weeks past their due date can horses go before you start to worry? A fellow down the road had a horse go one year and 4 days. Can anyone answer this? Do draft horses go longer?

John Colang
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update to my message. Today is May 1st and she was due March 22nd. I know this is the date because I know when the stallion left the farm. She is very large (she's a paint/percheron cross) and the stallion was a Shire. Her hind quarters are very soft and her slit is very moist and loose. Her teats are changing, but I still cannot express any discharge except a waxy substance. Do you have any ideas? Should I be worried?

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no such thing as a "due date" for mares.

The commonly offered 340 days is merely a rough guide, with the "normal" range being between 320 and 370 days - and despite that being "normal", foalings outside those times are not at all unusual. Foals born prior to 320 days are at severe risk, however foals born after 370 days are usually fine - and indeed often smaller than many born around the 340 day mark.

As long as a veterinarian has palpated and determined the foal to be alive, and as long as there is no evidence of distress in the mare, it is best to merely sit back and wait for the foal to tell the mare that it's ready to arrive.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

Jos
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those with mares that are close to term but producing no milk, make sure that the mare has not been exposed to endophyte-infected fescue grass.

If this is not an issue, in pretty well all cases, the mare will subsequently produce milk - sometimes not even until shortly after the foal has arrived.

If in doubt though, consult with your veterinarian.

Valerie
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am proud to announce that my mare had her foal on May 1st with out any complications! She had a beautiful filly which I named Dallas. Thank you all for your advice!

Diana Meador (152.163.206.208)
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that I thought was due 6-15 but I still don't have a baby. I had her at the vet. She is preg. But I think what might of happened is aftet I checked her back on her 18 day I checked her for a week and still no sign. I tuned her out on her 36 day. I don't know if she absorbed it. I'm concerned because she is leaking milk. She has been doing this for acouple of weeks. It's not real bad. She also has started rubbing against the pannels with her seat. She is getting real soft in the croup. I know it it just a matter of time. Can you tell me why she is rubbing her seat. Thanks Diana

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US