OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding a maiden 16 yar-old mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Breeding a maiden 16 yar-old mare « Previous Next »

Paintluver
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend has a grade 16 year old mare who she palns to breed to a halflinger this spring. This wil be the mare's first time being bred. She is obese, has atheritis, and hasn't even had a BSE. What should i do to help them they don't have much money and no nothing about a horse!!
Paintluver

corrydvm (64.199.2.17)
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The likelihood of conception is, unfortunately, going to be low. If they want to spend money to try and breed her, I suppose that is up to them, but a 16 year old maiden will be a challenge, even for the equine repro expert.

Kelly (63.172.47.184)
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are intent on this, there is much preparation to be done.

Overly fat mares do not breed well. She should slowly be brought down to an appropiate weight.

They should attempt to make her comfortable concerning the arthiritis. She will need cultures, ultra sounds, veterinary care, etc. All this costs MONEY. I agree with Corry, this will not be easy. It may happen, but not without extensive work, commitment and funding.

If they can't afford the work necessary to get her in foal, how will they afford the foal once it arrives? This takes at least 16 months of commitment and extra finances.

Paintluver (208.23.115.61)
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad part is they don't have any money. This halflinger stud fee is only 100 dollars, but they only have to pay when the foal is standing!! It's sad because they think that everything will always go all right with horses. They think that this 3/4 ton mare couldnt ever get hurt, and they don't beleive in bute or any medications!!!

corrydvm (64.199.2.17)
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the sad part of my profession, unfortunately, and this will be a hard lesson learned for them. The mare may not get pregnant, and then she will not have that burden. More than likely, she won't. Any no one will be harmed. Hopefully not the mare.

Paintluver (208.23.114.112)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They arent really cruel people, just a bit ignorant about horses!!

Paintluver (208.23.114.112)
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad to see this mare put through this though!!

DANIELLE (152.163.201.193)
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will definitly have to check her to see if she is even breedable. Yes, 16 yr old horses are more difficult to get in foal but it is more time consuming then impossible. I was able to get my 17 yr old maiden mare pregnant the first try, but ONLY through Live cover, she was unable to catch throught AI. My advice to anyone who is breeding a maiden mare regardless of age, is if they are breeding sound to do live coverage for the first breeding. I also think they need to take the mares health in consideration FIRST and for most. First she needs to be relieved of pain from arthritis if it is really bothering her, once she does get pregnant she is going to be MISERIBLE with the extra weight of the baby on her arthritis. Then I also think she needs to lose a few pounds, a fat and pregnant mare is very dangerous and unhealthy. I think your friends need to get more HORSE WISE and make sure they have the FUNDS before they take this step. If they can't afford ONE how can they afford TWO?????

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US