OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lactational anestrus mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Lactational anestrus mare « Previous Next »

Horse Pro
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos we have a mare here that is now 70+ days post foaling, uneventful delivery, normal foal, and exhibits classic lactational anestrus. The vet/farm owner and my employer has tried, 14 days of Regu-Mate then prostin. Followed by10 days of 250mg IM GnRH, BID, not preceded by estrogen. That one didn´t work, so now he has had her on 10ml Domperidone BID for five days and removing the foal from her sight for 2 hours 3 times a day, still she is anesteus. Not violent to the teaser (she is normally a very docile mare any way), just has no interest. On palpation she shows active ovaries, good uterin tone. Develops multiple follicles, grape clusters, as it were. Nothing larger than a 20cm, and to date has not ovulated anything.

What ever is suggested will not be used, or passed on. I have already been down this road, I don´t have a D.V.M. following my name, or so I was told. He´s a self proclaimed reproductive expert. More appropriately a legend in his own mind. Be that as it may, what I am asking is just for my own information. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

This is a thoroughbred breeding situation and in this instance live cover is the only option.
HP

Jos
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Domperidone treatment has been shown to have fairly good results with mares that have some degree of follicular activity, so hopefully this will work.

Dr. Douglas at BET labs has some protocols on his site you can access by "clicking" here

Is this mare truly anestrus? I suspect not - I think perhaps she is actually behaviourally anestrus. A progesterone assay would be of use - if there is progesterone present >1 ng/ml then she is not in anestrus as there is a CL present! Often serial (daily or every-other day) palpations are the only way to go with these mares, or u/s 2 or 3 times a week. I have missed mares like this because I missed a palpation on the every-other-day system! They sprung a follicle and ovulated it in 3 days!

If there is progesterone present (i.e. she isn't truly anestrus), then I would feel inclined to put her on P&E and pinpoint the ovulation that way.

And then you've got to get her bred..... and that'll be so much easier when the JC finally get's out of the 18th Century..... J

Horse Pro
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you so much Jos. I will save this for future reference. Should this situation arise on my next reproductive endeavor. Which my be very soon, if all works out in the next couple of weeks. Then a question of whether a given mare can receive semen at the appropriate time will not be a problem.

Again, your thoughts and information are most helpful and appreciated.

HP

Horse Pro
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos just an update on this mare. After a second round of Domperidone augmented with GnRH over a 14 day period, ultimately followed by a triple prostin series. The mare is still not showing to the teaser and is now no longer building follicles, her ovaries palpate inactive. Apparently for all intents and purposes she has shut down. He has finally decided to just leave her along and see if she will cycle on her own. In my humble estimation her body did the only thing left to do, after so much hormonal intervention.

I guess it just goes to show, just because one has a D.V.M. at the end of their name, is not necessarily an indication of expertise with regard to equine reproductive physiology. It´s very sad, because a good dose of common sense and repressing an enormous ego would have resulted in and relatively easy and timely conception on this mare, IMHO. I would expect as much from a layman or someone who is less educated in this regard. It´s easy sometimes to start thinking, just because of all the tools available to us that we have absolute control over the reproductive process. However when these tools are used inappropriately, mother nature has a way of slamming us back to reality.

HP

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US