OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Extremely long heat cycle

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Extremely long heat cycle « Previous Next »

Kelly
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has been in heat for 10 days now and is still going strong. She has been bred every other day for 10 days now and doesn't look as if she is going to come out any time soon. Is this normal? Is she still producing a follicle or are we wasting our time this heat cycle.

Jos
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have her ultrasounded.

This could still be a transitional phase estrus; or it could be a behavioural estrus. With the former you may have to keep breeding; with the latter you probably won't have to.

Danielle (205.188.196.43)
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the same problem with my 38" miniature mare. I have kept a close watch on her cycle, I know exactly when she comes in so I know I bred her before and after her ovaluation, (days 2, 4 and 6) but it is DAY 10 now and she is STILL showing signs of heat. She still winks and urinates to the stallion when teased. WHAT does this mean?? Is it something to be concerned? Because Miniatures have such tiny openings, it is very hard to ultra sound or palpate them, If you do you can rip them inside and even cause abortion if they are in foal, so what should I do?? HELP!!!

Kelly (152.163.206.206)
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danielle,

I posted the first post. I bred this mare every other day for almost 12 days. I was also concerned. However, I will be happy to let you know this mare is pregnant. Keep it up. Some mares just have longer heat cycles.

Kelly (63.172.47.227)
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this time of year, many mares will cycle longer. I would use HCG after the 4th or 5th cover to stimulate ovulation. If the follicle is not ready, it won't work, no harm done. If the follicle is 3.5 or better, it will ovulate, making your last cover viable. It must be given once, within 24 hours of your last cover. No side effects, no drawbacks.

Stephanie Campbell (142.21.150.9)
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And some mares are just wierd. My mare was in heat every 7-10 days - including after her last live cover. Her heats are subtle and she is well behaved.
Apparently it wasn't a great problem, because I had her ultrasounded yesterday and she was pregnant. I will have her U/S'd again, likely, becuase it was suggested to me that, with the half-cycle, she might have two follicles developing at once - at different stages. Since she was bred a few times, there is a small possibility of dual fertilization - twins.
I remember seeing someone else posting on the topic of twins. I would think that in this situation, having the mare exposed to the stallion several times could increase the likihood of twins - from very very rare to very rare.

Are there any other concerns that I might need to be aware of due to my quirky old lass? She's had two babies without incident in the past, but that was 5 years ago, and she is 19 now. The vet is checking her progesterone levels to make sure she can maintain the pregnancy, and she was stitched up yesterday... I got a really dirty look from her this morning!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US