I have a 14 yo mare that has foaled 3 times. Last year her foal had to be put down due to illness and was of course a major stressful event to her. In addition, she had come from a rescue situation and although she had put on a good deal of weight was in no way fat.
We bred her a few weeks after the foal died and she was checked in foal about 21 days after breeding via AI. A followup US at about day 60 showed a pregnancy, but the due dates indicated the pregnancy might be absorbing. A third US at day 75 showed the mare developing a follicle and pregnancy almost absorbed. We rebred on that heat (hot summer by then with 100++ temps and no rain) and 21 day US showed pregnancy, but followup close to 60 days once again showed absorptions. A biopsy was done and showed IIa with mild endomatrial changes. Culture was negative.
My vet, not a repro specialist, suggested breeding this year followed by 15 day US and blood test to determine the need for Regumate (start Regumate at day 15 and continue until results of test are back). He also suggested a Casliks athough that has never been done to this mare before. Does this treatment sound good? What to do if this does not work?
Needless to say she is in good shape now and has been getting vitamins etc.
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 09:41 pm:
All the day markers I'm referring to are the number of days post-pregnancy occuring ovulation. I'm assuming the same applies for your "day lines".
I'm surprised that your mare showed an estrus at (or about) 75 days. The presence of a follicle is normal at that stage - they are caused by the formation of the endometrial cups (around day 35) which secrete eCG, which in turn cause the formation of secondary CL's (resulting from ovulating follicles). What normally happens if the pregnancy is lost at this stage (in fact up to about 120 days) is that the secondary CL's maintain their progesterone secretion and the mare will not show estrus until day 120 or thereabouts...
I would probably want to firstly make sure that there was no fluid post-breeding; and then at 3 or 4 days post ovulation, start her on Regumate. I would only want to do that if there was no fluid present. In the event there were a suggestion of retained fluid I would use oxytocin up to 48 hours post-ovulation. There is a protocol that outlines it's use available on this site by "clicking" here. The early use of Regumate is indicated to prevent any compromise of the embryo in early pregnancy. The chances are that the pregnancy loss is not related to compromise this early, but if the Regumate use is delayed until day 15 and a pregnancy is subsequently lost, I would strongly suggest moving it up to 3 or 4 days after the ovulation....
A Caslick's procedure would indeed be advisable.
Was there any neutrophil presence in the biopsy? If so then, despite the "clean" culture, an infection may still be present in the uterus. If this was the case, re-evaluate the uterus with a further swab, but make sure that a cytology smear is performed - a culture alone is worthless as a diagnostic.
Overall this sounds more like a mare with a IIb uterus with more severe endometrial changes, or a mare that has a commensal bacterial agent such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa that is lying inactive until the mare's uterus comes under the influence of Progesterone as a result of pregnancy - which reduces the defence mechanisms and allows the bacteria to flourish, thereby causing the loss.
Hope this helps.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 02:24 pm:
Well apparently there was nothing wrong with the mare except she was not ready to carry a foal again last year. I had her bred in early April and she is now in foal (about 4 months). Thanks for the help though.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: