OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Miniature Having Problems Foaling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Miniature Having Problems Foaling « Previous Next »

Heather Pendergrass
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeaturday my mother-in-law's mare went into labor. She didn't find her until noon and had no idea of how long she was in labor or how long the foal was in the birth conal. We called a vet but no-one was able to get there untill today. The foal was dead by the time she found the mare. The mare's heart rate was very low, and the mares temp was low also. She wasn't doing well. We had no choice but to pull the foal out. It was in correct position. What should a amatuer breeder do? Why did the foal die and why could't the mare foal with out any problems. She (my mother in law) has had this happen to her once before. The mare couldn't have the foal and had to be pulled. She still hasn't rebred and it has been 11 months.

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a condition called "uterine inertia" in which a mare seems unable or unwilling to "push" in order to expel the foal. This is possible what happened.

Another possibility is that the foal itself may have had large shoulders which got stuck on the pelvis and prevented the mare from being able to expel the foal without assistance.

It is essential that owners or a knowledgeable party be present at the time of foaling so that incidences such as this can be identified and prevented before it is too late. The solution is to call the veterinarian immediately if there is not a normal progression of foaling.

Danielle (205.188.196.43)
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just purchased a miniature mare. The owners told me she has had 2 foals. The first foal she had with no problems is a beautiful filly. She was rebred for a 2nd foal which didn't go very well. During delivery, the foals' head was tucked underneath somehow, and couldn't reprosition. I also think the mare had a hard time pushing. A vet could not show up for atleast a hour to help, But by the time he arrived, they had to pull the foal out in pieces just to get it out!! the foal obviously didn't survive but the mare was ok. I want to breed her and I was wondering if there would of been damage to the mare internally because of this incident? (it is difficult to palpate or ultrasound a mini due their small size) Will she be able to concieve again? If it happens once, will it happen again??

heather Pendergrass (216.12.217.3)
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daneille,
The vet can do a vaginal exam with a tube. They can look through it with a light and see any scar tissue or tears. I have had this procedure done on a 30" mare. We then did a vaginal exam with our hands and arms. I was able to feel inside her to feel the tear and as to why she was going to absorb her foal she had in her. This was great. Try to find a woman vet that is small. My vet is 5'4" and she has had no problem ultra sounding or pal. my mini's. Good luck.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US