SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Using Regumate on stallions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Using Regumate on stallions « Previous Next »

Carmen
Neonate
Username: Windwood3

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever used Regumate on thier stallion during show season. Are there long term effects using this hormone?

Cindy Moore
Weanling
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally would not fed Regumate to my stallions during show season. It is a FEMALE hormone. You might check the archives on equine rero, but I believe it is strongly discouraged.
Cindy Moore
}

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 974
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regumate was researched as far as its effect on stallion sexual behaviour and found to have a reducing effect in younger stallions but little or no effect in older stallions where the behaviour was primarily learned and not solely hormonal.

Long-term effects of Regumate on stallions has not been heavily evaluated as the concept of using this female hormone in a male is a relatively new one. Early research results however indicate that long-term use may have a permanent suppressive effect on sperm production and libido.

I would not recommend using Regumate in a stallion with which it is intended to breed. If he's not breeding material, he should be castrated anyway to take away any temptation from the human more than the horse. If he is badly behaved enough that one is considering chemical manipulation rather than good handling, one should also be giving serious consideration about whether this is a temperament that one wants to pass on to subsequent generations.

Carmen
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Just was wondering. I went to a show a couple of weeks ago, not with my stallion, but was listening to others talk about a stallion that was misbehaving and the conversation was that the owner or trainer should have him on regumate. They said he would act like a mare. Then I started looking at all the stallions that were being handled by trainers and you know they did act like mares, I don't know if it was training or chemicals but it was interesting.

Susan Lea
Weanling
Username: Brandysgrandma

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a trainer who shows a lot of stallions, and they behave beautifully. Her "secret" is what she calls "testicle parties"! If a stallion starts to act up, she discreetly reaches, grabs, and gives a hard squeeze until he looks back, acknowledges her, and straightens up. One or two "parties" is usually all it takes, and her stallions behave very well! (Note: I'm NOT recommending this!) The point for me is that she trains them from a young age and never lets them forget who's boss, so they behave because of training rather than medication.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing this "trainer" doesn't ever have to look forward to washing the stallions penis prior to breeding or collecting semen or manually guiding the stallions penis into a mare or AV... if she were going to have to, she might twice before handling that portion of the anatomy in a negative manner - the repercussions are generally not good when it comes time to breed as most of these stallions will start to associate someone reaching back there with an unpleasant outcome and become at best defensive (and lose the erection and the desire to perform sexually) or at worst agressive (to protect the equipment!)...

One is also left wondering if the "trainer" (and I am using the quotation marks to emphasise sarcasm!) has a teenage son, and if she applies the same logic to him if he starts to act up in a teenage sexual manner - and if not (which she probably would not!), then why would she feel it's necessary to do it with a colt...??? :-(

Behaviour like this in the name of training gives good trainers (no quote marks) a bad name - there's no need for it. She should learn some more appropriate training practices, or go and work in a breeding shed with older stallions that have been badly handled like this in the past by "trainers"...

Carmen
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too funny, just picturing mothers across the US grabbing the "jewels" for a testicle party.....

i don't think i would grab my stallion in such a manner, he associates human contact on the genitalia as foreplay to sex. Or at the very least a warm washing.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US