SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Collecting urine of mare in estrus for training stallion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Collecting urine of mare in estrus for training stallion « Previous Next »

Cassandra Jo
Neonate
Username: Fzybt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet says I need to collect the urine of a mare in estrus to train my stallion( who has bred live cover) to the phantom. I only have one mare(that I don;t intend to breed to him) and have been unable to "catch" any so far. Can you buy this somewhere, or would anyone be willing to sell me some? I'd like to get him trained this year for next. Any suggestions appreciated!

L Detweiler
Neonate
Username: Msfarab

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cassandra,
Next time she comes into heat, just get a low type plastic PAN (dish pan type) and set it behind her, on the ground almost where she will step in it. I keep the stallion in a stall with a Dutch door so he can reach over top to tease the mare, and she will PEE into the pan on the ground with me holding the lead shank to keep her in position. You can ALSO put a kitchen plastic measuring cup with a small handle on it onto a YARD STICK and hold it out behind her.
I take the urine after she pees (in heat, of course) and get some disposable BABY diapers.... open them up and pour some on and freeze. That way you only have to get one out when you need it. The plastic covering on the other side of the diaper keeps it clean and the absorbent side lets the smell come through.
Lesley

Jodi Maki
Neonate
Username: Mysteryarabpt

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to collect urine for foalproof test and I tried to collect for about two weeks when an idea hit me. I put my mares I wanted urine from in barn over night then I took syringe & sucked any urine on the stall floor up. It was so simple!!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will just - as L Detweiler notes above - tease a mare in estrus, and then catch the urine stream she releases in a bucket that someone is holding behind her (don't get kicked!). It is a little less bulky for storage if one freezes the urine either in small aliquotes in baby bottle liners, or even fills an ice tray with them and then pops the "urine cubes" out once frozen and stores them in a ZipLok bag, removing and thawing them one at a time as required.

WRT to urine for a pregnancy test - be aware that collecting it from the floor could result in the addition of impurities that may affect the accuracy of the result.

AmyandBrett
Neonate
Username: Rockinas

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do as Jos mentioned, tease the mare while someone holds a bucket. Then I freeze the estrus urine in 50ml centrifuge tubes. One 50 ml tube will last for about 4 collections with my young stallion. Works great!

John Newell
Neonate
Username: Casallc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colorado State Equine lab did a study years ago on this subject. They placed patches with urine from a mare in estrus, a mare not in estrus, a gelding, a stallion and one with some perfume. The best response was from the patch with perfume.
The idea that a horse can tell when a mare is in heat is a myth. The mare tells the horse when she is ready to breed by allowing the horse to bred her. A stud will breed anything that stands still. I suggest you go to WalMart and get a bottle of Lilly Of The Nile instead of catching mare pee.

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, try telling my stallion your theory.. you're having a laugh, right?

He WILL NOT cover a mare who does not smell 'right'. I have a mare who will stand whenever, wherever, without kicking, for the stallion even for the first couple of months when in foal.

Unless she is 'in season' however, the stallion will not go anywhere near her let alone cover her. I can go as far as to say, even if she's very recently ovulated, he knows it and won't cover her even if *she's* willing and able.

I use my stallion as a barometer - if he won't climb on the mare and cover her, I KNOW she is not ready to be covered. This has been corroborated time and again by ultrasound.

Perhaps you're just dealing with a really randy stud, because in general stallions won't cover 'anything that stands still.' You might want to get that behavioural issue seen to.

Just out of interest, whoever said that mares who still show even after they're pregnant have filly foals was right on the money in my experience!

And isn't it 'Lily of the Valley'?

casallc
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't a theory, it is a proven part of the curriculum at CSU Equine Reproduction Labs. They also have video of stallions mounting a steer and a gelding. You could use either as a collection phantom if they would cooperate.

Lilly of the Nile is much cheaper, no need to spend much for such a useless idea.

(Message edited by casallc on February 24, 2008)

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

casallc
I find that very interesting, how many stallions were in the study and what were their ages? Was it the first time for any of them or had they all been trained to collected before?

The 2 of the 3 welsh stallions (ages 15, 22, 23) that I handle will can be collected on a phantom with no mare in site, no mare urine. They were trained to collect 4 yrs ago and we don't do live covering any more. One of the stallion (22 yrs old) I can collect in the stall without a mare or urine, he takes one look at the lttle white bucket and the AV and he is good to go.

casallc
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is probably a paper on it some where. It was way back before Dr. Pickett retired, Dr. Squires was there then (as a young Vet). I'll try to find something. I was there in the late 70's.

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always keep urine from a mare in heat in the freezer for the one stallion that needs a little encouraging and a 3 yr old we were training. We would tease a mare in the isle way of the barn and mop it up with a cotton leg wrap. Then when we needed it we would thaw it out and wrap the mares tail with it, wearing gloves of course. We would refreeze it several times.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US