SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How many mares can a stallion breed in one day?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » How many mares can a stallion breed in one day? « Previous Next »

Dee
Weanling
Username: Dee

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wanting to know how many mares can a stallion usally breed in one day without making him to tired for the next day of breeding or injuring him?
Thanks!

Hope Parr
Nursing Foal
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All depends on the stallion, you can sometimes get enough from one collection to breed 2-3 mares.
After spinning it down my stallion gives enough from one collection to breed 2 mares with 2 straws each

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10657
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The average number of insemination doses from a single collection is between 5 and 15 (sorry Hope! :-)), and the most I have ever seen was 80 (yup - eighty!!).

In answer to the specific question, as Hope observed, there really is no answer. It is entirely stallion dependent. One must also be aware of the fact that even if they can breed (or have the inclination) after multiple breedings (live covers) per day, some stallions may be ejaculating insufficient sperm numbers to achieve good pregnancy rates.

Hope Parr
Nursing Foal
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont be sorry :-)

I am only referring to my stallion and my experience, the most he has given so far was enough for 2 doses each for 3 mares. This is after it was spun down and he had 240 per mil. So in doses, it was actually 6 doses (again this is spun down and extended for shipping), 2 doses each for 3 girls. Which actually is right in your numbers range :-)

but its all stallion dependent, some stallions you may not get anything, 2 weeks ago when I was at the vets collecting my stallion for someone, they had just received a shipment in that came from canada and only had one dose, of only about 20% motility...
some stallions are real good producers, some are not. My guy has to be spun down because he gives so much fluid, I understand some dont have to be spun down.
there is allot to it, you would just have to take your guy in and have him tested.
BTW we dont do live cover so I would not know what how many he can live cover in a day. We only do AI.

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it would be a good idea to say about 2 to 4 mares a day would be a safe guess.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Dee, a stallion with experience and is older than two in most cases, } should be able to handle 2-4 mares a day , providing that they were spreed out a bit throughout the day. Don't expect him to recover and breed every half hour with successful rates of conception. Ideally you could breed on in the am, one at lunch time , one in the afternoon and then again in the evening. Some situations are not ideal.

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times do you have to breed a mare usally before the mare gets preg.

delia Kramer
Neonate
Username: Delia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dee it depends on the mare. It only takes 1 swimmer. Haha. No really my mare is a 3 day cycler. I called the stallion owner told her Marisa was day 1 heat. The next day we hauled her down (3hours away). Unloaded her, put her in the stall 2 away. She showed right away to him. We bred her that afternoon (just before julips). I wanted to breed her the next evening, the stallion owner said lets wait until tomorrow morning. And I told her she would be out of heat. And she was! The stallion owner said I would be back the next cycle and I said nope we wont. We got 1 cover and she is due next MAY/07
I forgot to mention that she had just bred the stallion to another mare about 1 hour before too!

Dee
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks that really helps too.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US