SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Dead sperm in first time collection

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Dead sperm in first time collection « Previous Next »

mary ripat
Neonate
Username: Mrpatron

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Collected a first time stallion today, with av, on phantom (mostly), penis angle was about 90 when he finished. Attending vet checked for motility etc. But all sperm was dead. Is this common? Will retry next week. Av temp and pressure seemed good. His libido is not as evident as some but he was behaving normally to the very in heat standby mare.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3521
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few things to check first:
  1. Change your AV lubricant in case the one you were using is contaminated (with something spermicidal);
  2. Are you using a disposable liner (you should be!!)? If not, you have to make sure that there is no cleanser residue inside the AV after washing it out after use;
  3. Is the collection area treated with flyspray (particularly the automated devices) - it's spermicidal.
You're probably starting to get the idea - look for absolutely anything that might have been spermicidal in the collection "chain".

If you can rule out any possibility of the above, then you probably should be considering the fact that you are seeing a spermiostasic situation. Stallions produce billions of sperm a day, and under normal conditions, they shed billions of dead sperm a day in their urine. If a stallion is suffering from spermiostasis, it means that he is unable to shed those dead sperm in the urine, and only release them when he ejaculates - hence billions of dead sperm in the ejaculate. Typically one will see concentrations in the billions per ml (as opposed to the more usual millions/ml) with just about zero motility. Another classic indication is a high percentage of separated heads (i.e. tail-less sperm). This condition is seen in around 25% of stallions in our experience. The solution for most cases of spermiostasis is to collect them multiple times (until all or most of the dead sperm are cleared out) and then collect them 2 or 3 times a week even if one does not need the semen (in order to prevent the dead sperm build up).

So the short answer to your question "Is this common?" is - not unless there is something wrong!

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mary, I hope your boy isn't a cumulator, last week I had to ship semen from a friends stallion that had to be collected 5 times 12 hours apart before getting a good collection.

I saw on your profile that you have Paso Finos, I was wondering what size of AV your vet was using? Was your stallion ejaculating in or did he extend out the end of the AV. As a pony breeder I have found that most vets have only one size, a large horse size AV. My 14.1 welsh/tb stallion can use a 16" while my 13.3 welsh uses a 14" anything longer they will be ejaculating in the AV where temperature is around 50 degrees celcius which is good for my stallions but not so much for the sperm. I wish you luck.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While one will definitely see a drop in motility - and particularly progressive motility - with ejaculations within the lumen of the AV, even when the AV temperature is towards the hot end of the spectrum at 54 C, it is typically not going to result in all dead sperm. Lots of circling sperm; maybe twitching sperm; but not all dead - there will still be some movement unless there was prolonged (likely 5 minutes or more) exposure to the heated lumen, and typically in that time frame, some of the semen will have drained down into the collection bottle (and hence have survived). It will however translate into early death of the sperm owing to cellular damage when trying to transport the semen.

One exception to the above could be if there was a twist in the disposable liner that prevented the semen from getting to the collection bottle and resulted in prolonged exposure to the heated lumen. That certainly could result in all dead, but again that would have to be a reasonably prolonged exposure and in most cases, the AV and semen would have been taken into the lab for evaluation long before that might happen.

Another thought did spring to my mind. Did you have a gel filter in place? And even if you did, was there an excessive amount of gel? Gel will typically kill sperm if there is a fairly large amount and it ends up in the collection bottle or if there is so much that it clogs the in-line filter and prevents the non-gel portion of the semen from draining through.

And BTW, the non-technical descriptor term for a stallion with spermiostasis is that he is an "accumulator"... :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US