SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion ejaculate question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Stallion ejaculate question « Previous Next »

sheila kelleher
Weanling
Username: Innishfael

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am a new stallion owner - prior to this spring i used a stallion station for my breeding. last fall i had a seven year old stallion given to me and i am on a really steep learning curve here.

february 5, we put the stallion out with two mares. stallion was fine for a few hours, then decided he had to cover one of the mares. she went through the fence (no injuries thank goodness) and that was the end of our pasture-breeding. hand breeding only from now on! mare that the stallion attempted to breed has now not come back into heat - all the other mares on the place have been cycling but this one.

i have been teasing her every other day for the past three weeks and she shows absolutely no interest in the stallion whatsoever. it did not occur to me that she might be pregnant because the 'act' was not completed before she decided she did not want to cooperate.

my question is - is there the possibility she is pregnant even though the stallion did not 'finish'? does ejaculate ever leak out prior to the end?

to be safe, i have a wee foal test ordered but it is not here yet and i thought i would ask. if the test is positive, the ultrasounding will commence. thanks much for any insight.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the stallion ejaculates, he penetrates into and sometimes even through the cervix into the uterus. The ejaculation occurs at great speed and pressure, so at least the initial portion of the ejaculate is placed directly into the uterus through a combination of penile position and hydraulic pressure. Unlike some other species, the ejaculate is not routinely placed in the vagina.

There are three portions to an ejaculate:
  • Pre-ejaculate, which is the clear fluid seen dripping from the penis prior to intromission;
  • Sperm-rich portion, which is the first three or four ejaculatory spurts and contains the majority of the sperm;
  • Tail-fraction, which contains the seminal plasma and gel (if there is gel) - essentially the major volume of the ejaculate.
As you can see from the above, it is entirely possible that sperm were deposited into the mare's uterus and she could be pregnant. If one sees "leakage" at dismount, it is most commonly part of the tail-fraction, which is most likely going to be gel with a little seminal plasma, not the sperm-rich portion.

Make sure you get the Wee Foal 38 day test kit, not the Wee Foal 120 day test kit (presuming this is the range that your mare is in). They are not interchangeable. If your mare is already 120 days along, then ultrasound is not going to be much help. Note that you cannot use the Wee Foal 38 kit prior to 38 days and in fact are better waiting until around 45 days as the hormone being tested for (eCG) is not reliably present until that time frame commences.

sheila kelleher
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you jos! i felt foolish asking, but if you do not ask, you do not learn. the mare should be at 42 days today (thank goodness we only have a one day window) and the kit ordered is the 38 day test.

thanks again!

sheila kelleher
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well butter my behind and call me a biscuit! wee foal test came back strongly positive and only took about three minutes before we could see both of the required lines. i guess mother nature will prevail!

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock
Username: 3_horses

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"well butter my behind and call me a biscuit" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL not to mention ROFLMAO - that's a good one, Sheila. Congratulations on your mare's pregnancy.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get her ultrasounded and checked for twins. It's a little late, but better late than never...!!!

sheila kelleher
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you brenda and jos. yes, an ultrasound is definitely in order... i am still confounded over this pregnancy. funny how one can try and try and try to get a mare in foal, but the stallion knows when to get the job done. thanks again.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US