SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Seems to be an impossible stallion situation. Please help!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Seems to be an impossible stallion situation. Please help! « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All, as you may know, I raise miniature horses. I have a tiny 27 inch mini stallion with a HUGE case of little man syndrome. We once owned a 11 hand welsh gelding that we ended up getting rid of because our stallion constantly tried to kill him. Now I have purchased a riding horse for myself and my children. Went to the extra effort to make it a mare, as I know my stallion hates boys of any kind. I thought sure he would be ok with another mare on the property, but instead of trying to woo her, he is acting like he wants to kill her! She is a haflinger mare and weighs 1200lbs....he weighs 170lbs. I'm worried that if I put them together, he will obsess and be mean to her, and though she doesn't have a mean bone in her body, seh will not put up with him very long. I'm worried she'll kill him for being a little jerk. At first, I had them separated by a fence, where they could hang out and get to know one another. That went well for a few days, then the stallion started biting at her, and she began backing her ears, and acting as if she would bite his head off. She never actually bit him, but sure went at him with her mouth open. Now I have them totally separated...he goes out with the mares one day, and the haflinger stays inside...next day, the haflinger goes out with the mini mares, and the stallion stays inside. I think it is creating ALOT of animosity for the stallion to be separated from his mares, and he is having a total fit of RAGE when I let him in the barn at feeding time. he runs right to the haflingers stall, slams into the gate, and just about climbs it trying to bite her. She in turn, tries to bite him back, and he ends up turning his butt and kicking the gate. Is there anyway to bring this situation back to good without killing my stallion? She fits well in the herd with the mini mares, and has found her place in the pecking order...but with the stallion, it's another story. Will this change in spring when she comes into heat and he sees her as a possible mate? I'm at wits end, and this seems to be getting worse and worse with the separation. Please help!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We prefer double fencing between stallions and other horses - i.e. 2 fences with about a 10-15 foot gap in between - so you might want to try that if it's practical. He will be likely to "run the fence" for a while before he settles down, but at least he cannot physically access the mare across the fence line that way.

It's probably just going to be a matter of waiting and seeing what happened. Many years ago when I ran herd animals, there were occasionally mares that when introduced into a herd never were accepted by the stallion...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have the ability to put the mare (or stallion) in a stall with turnout pen on their day in with a 30ft gap between 2 fences...however, I worry that if they don't have this resolved by summer that the stallion will completely overheat himself running all day. Also, in summer, i have to open up that 30 ft gap so that the horses can access the shade of the barn. It's not feasible to put them in the barn for "out of sight, out of mind" when it's 100 degrees outside. I was hoping you'd have some brilliant idea on how to integrate them into one big herd so everybody could get along LOL. It's almost as if he's either jealous of the haflinger, or feels his mini herd is threatened by her. I need further insight into stallion mentality...LOL Somebody quick come up with a thought to voice translater, so I can figure out what the stallion is thinking! ROFL!!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're not going to know the outcome before summer if you don't try it now! :-)

You'll be no further behind if it doesn't work...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4121
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, I guess I made it sound as if I wasn't doing that already LOL. Every other day, when she's kept in, and he goes out, I put her in the pen....for 3 wks now, he's run the fence, even though she's 30 ft away from him. Will he ever stop???!!!
At one point, we had him on a long 22 ft rope, and her on a lead....we let them go nose to nose. She really could care less, until he stuck his nose up under her flank as if to nurse...at which point, she gave him a good wallop on his shoulder. No harm done....we let them continue to get to know each other on the end of ropes, so we could save the stallion from himself if we had to. He proceeded to try to mount her, and she walloped him again. For the next 20 min, they grazed next to each other, and nobody really challened the other. Although, I know my stallion, and he knows I'll correct him. So I don't know if that's a very good indication of how things would truly be with no ropes. LOL Perhaps we should just continue doing that? OR would it just be a waste of time....*sigh*.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to live next to a 17 hh TB gelding...and my crazy stallion was pretty certain he could climb the fence and kill him....He obsessed so much over it, that we had to start only putting Dynamite outside at night while their horse was in his stall. What a mess...maybe he's just PSYCHOTIC

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4123
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And by the way, this is the crazy one with serious little man syndrome :
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/july26.jpg

And with the girl he's taunting:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/IMAG1298.jpg

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3461
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Acclimatisation and setting of boundaries is important, so if you can get them to touch and then graze - as you describe above - without killing each other, that is good.

Sometimes you just have to fiddle around until you find the right formula.

There's a reason there's no degree in Equine Psychology! :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!! So true....I wish there was though!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US