SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What is a good price to ask for a stud colt?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » What is a good price to ask for a stud colt? « Previous Next »

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are trying to decide if we want to sell our paint stud colt. My stud colt is a bay and white tobiano stud colt born 2005. This stud is very sweet stud, my children can play with him. I have two foals coming this year, if we have more studs we will have to sell some. If this stud is homozygous for the tobiano gene what is a good price to ask for him. I know the bloodlines plays into it as well. I was just wanting to see what you all think for a good very sweet stud colt. This stud will make a great stud later on. If we don't get a good enough amount afford for him we will keep him. I have to much time and money in him already.
Thank you for helping me out.
melissa

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see my good looking stud colt(Little Man) on
www.photobucket.com/albums/e329/MBhorses
I don't want to sell him, but if we get another stud one of them will have to go. Hope we get fillies.This was my first paint stud colt born here on our place, he has a special place in my heart.I would only sell him to a good home that is a much!!!!
take care,
Melissa

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa- depending on your location the price could vary greatly. (also his pedigree will make a difference) In our area, yearlings are not bringing great prices, we try to sell any horses that we don't intend to keep till riding age as weanlings, that way we have less invested in them and they look best when they come right off the mare.

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Watkins,
Thank you for our advice about my colt. We haven't decide yet about selling him or not. We will wait to see what we have in April and May.
I was just wanting to know what to ask for him, if we sold him. We live in Mississippi.
thanks Melissa

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa- my best advice is to do some research and find out what colts are bringing in your area. I know for us, if we have to take them to a sale, we can expect anywhere from $300-$800 for a yearling. Now if you have something with excellent bloodlines and pedigree, it could be worth a good bit more. Also selling to an individual will be better than taking him to an auction if you decide to sell him. Good luck! Hope that helped a little !

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Watkins,
Where do you all live? I would not want to take him to a sell. I would not sell him for $300-$800 I would keep him before I give him away.I have been to two sale barns in my life time it is sad to see alot of those horses. I would like for him to go to a show home if possible, if we sell him. I was told we could get $1,500 - $2,500 or more for him. If he is homozygous for the tobiano gene he would be worth more. I think he is worth more then $1,500 now, because we have alot of time and money in him already.I hope we have fillies this time,then I want have to sell him.Did you look at him on the site, what do you think about him?
Thank you for your help.
Melissa

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa- We live in NE Kansas, there was a time when young horses would bring more money, but really, the economy is not what it used to be and horses are a luxury item, when times are tough, the market isn't so great for selling them. We often sell well broke horses for $2k-$3k. Maybe the market is better in your state? If he is homozygous that would increase his value but only if he has a good blood line to begin with and good enough confirmation to make him stallion material. I can't help you with pedigree information, I don't know too much about paint pedigrees. Do some shopping and see what horses of his caliber are priced at in your area, then you'll know better how to price him.

melissa
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Watkins,
Thank you for your help. I will wait to see what my mares has this April. We are hoping for a filly. Broke to ride horses here can go from $800 - $6000 it depends on the bloodline. My friend(who lives in Mississippi as well) just sold her paint gelding that was western/english horse for $40,000. I was surprise to hear that. I told her she could work with my stud colt for that price. Someone up North brought him. Who has $40,000 for a horse, I sure don't? We wish we all could get this for our horses.Don't get me wrong I would love some of the high price horses, but I can't afford those.
Take care,
MELISSA

Danielle Roosen-Runge
Weanling
Username: Rolling_hills_quarter_horses

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he a yearling? How's he bred?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Melissa,
I just found out that the sire to my 2 year old colt just sold. He sold for 30,000 dollars. I about sh.. my pants ! I am pretty pleased that I have a colt out of a 30,000 sire.
You have to have big time money for them. Its a tax thing for those that have the money. Its a game! Many use it as a business and right offs/income and it can be done. You just play it in the field that you can and have fun with it!

Kim

SDS
Neonate
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont have a $40,000 horse either,but in my case my colts,when I get them(on rare occasion),they are worth around $2000-$3000 right off the mare,since their sire is the only breeding offspring of his gelded sire,and the rest of the sires are deceased.When in doubt go back to the sire and what his other offspring have sold for.But a good thing to remember about selling horses,they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US