SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Yearling Stud feeding plan?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Yearling Stud feeding plan? « Previous Next »

Kassie Finley
Nursing Foal
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a yealing stud that I am wanting to bulk up for halter classes with year. What is a good exercise/feeding progrem to but him on? He needs to put on some muscle. He has a HUGE belly but I want him to put on muscle tone. Any good plans? I am giving him one flake of alfalfa a day and about 1lb of Cool Horse sweet feed in the evenings. This is my first show horse so I am trying to learn the best feeding and exercise routine for him. He is a big yearling, lots of people thought he was a yearling when he was only 7 months old at his last show. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Kassie Finley
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry for the spelling oopses. I had my hand in the wrong place and did not notice. sorry.

Terry O.
Neonate
Username: Ksfarmer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you call a flake? If you are feeding a slab off of a small square I would feed him atleast three a day and a quart of 12% sweet mix. Maybe even mix a 50/50 mix of sweet mix and oats, same amount fed.

Kassie Finley
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that is what I mean when I say a flake. But I forgot to mention he is on free graze costal all day. So he eats that as much as he wants, and the other is just suppliment.

Terry O.
Neonate
Username: Ksfarmer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that it should be enough. I have seen stuff on the shelf at the local farm store that advertise for adding weight but I don't know if they work all that well.

Renee
Breeding Stock
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie,
Trotting is great for building up muscle and topline. If you can lunge him at a trot for about half an hour every day (obviously start off less, and build up slowly with his fitness) then this will help.
Renee

Sandy
Nursing Foal
Username: Sandysz

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

The veterenarians, I have been told, are finding that lounging in a circle is causing hip problems,in all ages, especially later on in life. As I said it is what I have been told and have no evidence. But it does stand to reason. I don't know if you have another horse to "pony" him from but it would work both horses.
Good luck,
Sandy

Kassie Finley
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, We finlly got him to pony behind one of my mares today. he did not want to go at first but my husband held on to his lead and would pull and I walked up behind and tapped him on the butt with a buggy whip, we did this for ab out 15min and finally he had not trouble and we trotted him around for about 5 min to start with. He did realy good. I will post pictures of him when we get him bulked up and ready for a show. thanks for all your help.

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie, just make sure you don't over do it, he is only young and you don't want to cause any joint problems from to much work, I have seen some one ruin a yearling filly by to much to soon, she used to lunge her daily for about half an hour and the filly was ruined within 4 months because her joints just couldn't handle the work load. Even by leading him off a pony you ccan cause the same sort of problems. The beach is probably the best place for him at the moment, get him walking through the water, you will notice how much he tones up and by walking him you are not putting to much strain on the joints. Even just walking him in some deeper sand means he has to put a little bit more effort in. There are also plenty of feed on the market which will help with building them up. I have always found pollard great (make sure you mix it with water to a sloppy mix) or you can find plenty of pellet mixes on the market with Pollard as a base. The same applys here though, don't fatten him to much because you will put extra strain on those joints ... he is no good to any one if he is lame by the time he reaches 2.

Kassie Finley
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Emma, I will be very carefull not to over work him. We don't have any beaches here. We are in the middle of Texas and about 900 miles from any beach
I think I am going to just work him for about 5min every other day in a walk/trot and see how he takes to that. Thanks

Sandy
Nursing Foal
Username: Sandysz

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi.
Good luck with your yearling. When I had them I would try to stay consistant. Using whoa, back, stand, etc. I would work up to putting long lines on and "driving" also. This not only works on their training but works on their suppleness and body.As well as our own. LOL I would "work" two or three days a week and not for very long, as these are still babies. Backing also works on their gaskin muscles. A good mixture, ponying,driving, walking around obsticles,over poles,tarps etc, keeps everyone happy and no boardom. Take care and best wishes Sandy

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a rice based oil product called Body Builder. It has no swabbable substances in it and I have found it very good for yearling prep. It does seem to help them make the most of the work you give them. And they love the taste.

I believe it is manufactured in America.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US