SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ergently needed answer

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Ergently needed answer « Previous Next »

kimmy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.92.168.163
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can somebody help me answer this question please

what is the dangers of wearing perfume around horses?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimmy,
the dangers of perfume can be to the extreme for some horses (animals in general). You should be careful what kind you wear, if you notice a problme with one kind , then avoid wearing it. If your horse is use to it then it probally won't be a problem. We do not smoke. Our horses hate when my sister in law comes into the barn. We have had a barn full of 25 horses at any given time and when she comes into it, they all start to act skidish, and get a little worried that there is something up(I would guess it is because she smells like a smoke stack and the smell of the smoke makes them paniky(natures way of protecting itself). I do tend to notice the horses act a little funny if I wear a new hair spray or something of that nature too. I wear as little smelling things as possible(always have not just becasue of the horses)but animals in general. I know I personally can't stand odd smelling perfumes why would it be any different for a animal. They have keen senses.
Some claim too that they have had problems with a stallion when a human female is menstraiting (*sp ?). I have never had any problems with the stallions that we house or have been around.

Kim v.
Yearling
Username: Twhgait

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've owned horses (mares, stallion, baby) for 30+ years and I can honestly say I've never, ever heard not to wear perfume around horses or that it can cause problems with horses. Ya learn something new every day! What kinds of problems? I'm curious to know what dangers you are referring to. I've never had a reaction from any of my horses because of anything I may have sprayed on. I tend to avoid scents also, but mostly in the summer because I don't want to get attacked by bees, not because of my horses.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say not to wear perfume around horses, I made a general statement that some are affected by it and have seen a horse change its behavior because of a new scent in the barn. Someone new with a odd smell and it alerts the herd to be on the lookout for something in thier surrondings, just as if they were in the wild. I generally don't wear much because of bees and nats being attracted to the perfumes and hairsprays as well. I don't tend to have much of a problem when I wear something new or different but see it when a stanger comes into the barn. Animals have a very keen sense of smell and this helps to protect themselves. I just cautioned the use of perfumes especially if you don't know the animal or have never been around it.

Kim v.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks for explaining! I honestly never gave it much thought at all, except for the darn bees! I don't have visitors too often, but I'm going to pay extra attention when someone does come out to the barn. Most people probably think I wear "horse" perfume instead of anything else!!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats too funny, as normally I don't go out shopping until after I have showered from doing barn work/chores. But I have had a time or two when the day was running short on time and had to run to the store to pick up stuff for school lunches(did change shoes :-) ) and have gotton a few funny looks. I have three kids and they all have their stuff for the barn , coats,boots and snow pants for winter seperate from the stuff they wear to go out in public. My aunt didn't understand why at first :-) The teacher for my first grader wanted them to bring snow pants to school with them each day so I had to go buy another pair as I couldn't be washing them everynight after being in the barn ! I don't notice our "barn" smell and actually ours is pretty good compaired to others --- I think alot has to do with the feed they are fed.

Anyways that is my experience with perfume and animals in general. Its good just to be cautious at first

Kim v.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, your household sounds like mine! My favorite is when I "touch up" after chores to run into public only to see that I still have dirt under my nails. The general public is probably looking at me and thinking "ewww"! That horse smell can just hang on you and your clothes! Honestly though, I LOVE the smell of horse!!! I think my hair permenantly smells like that

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting about the smells....My husband has had 2 different stallions try to mount him before. One was our own stallion and one was a friend's stallion. And it was two separate incidences approx. a year apart from each other. I have told him that it must be something to do with the cologne he was wearing.
Of course his buddies get a good laugh off it that studs have tried to mount him. But when you see it actually happen, it's quite scary. He wasn't hurt either time, but it still freaks you out to watch a 1000 pound horse go up on his hind legs and put his front legs over someone's shoulders. My husband of course got knocked to the ground, but as soon as he was on the ground, the stallion ran away.
I honestly think it had something to do with the cologne.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US