SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Centrifuging Methods

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Centrifuging Methods « Previous Next »

Carl Wood (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.21.9.118
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an older stallion whose motility is very low. We have been centrifuging his semen but feel that the method is not working well. We take the ejaculate and divide it into 4 centrifuge tubes and add as much extender as it takes to get to 40 mls in each tube. Then run for 15 minutes at 3800 rpm. We pull off all but 10 mls in the bottom of each and dispose of it. The remaining we add as much extender as we can to make an insemination dose of no more than 70mls. We find under the microscope many very motile sperm in the part we are disposing of. Is there a way to loose less of those sperm cells? Should we change what we are doing in the centrifuging process?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10356
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an article on the site about centrifugation of semen that might help.

A couple of things spring to mind:
  • What G-force are you spinning at? 3800 rpm for most centrifuges is going to result in quite a high G-force. Obviously the actual force will depend upon the radius of the unit, but (for example) our IEC CL2 unit running at 2,600 and gives us 1,000 G! If you spin too hard you will damage the sperm membrane. Without use of a cushion, spinning at 400 G for between 6-12 minutes is the normal starting point.
  • In connection with above - how hard is the pellet you are ending up with? You don't really want a "pellet" (bad term although it's the one that's used) - more of a "sludge layer". You are better off losing sperm in the supernatant rather than spinning them too hard resulting in that membrane damage!
  • Have you tried fractionation of the ejaculate? With this technique, one captures only the first three ejaculatory spurts, which is where the ejaculated sperm are contained. The seminal plasma (which bulks out the volume, not the sperm numbers) follows in the ensuing spurts. Capturing only those first three spurts will increase the concentration and decrease the volume (discard the subsequent spurts that are captured in the lumen of the AV). This technique also reduces the potential for damage to the sperm as you're not centrifuging.
If you would like to answer the above, we can see if we can get things running a little smoother for you!

Carl Wood (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.21.9.81
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am using a Dynac centrifuge. It has four vials and it is 6 inches from center to center across the arms. I have no idea of what the g force is. This is the protocol I got from a vet at CSU. Although he did not know what type I had. The slurry in the bottom is not real tight but needs quite a bit of agitation to mix it all up again. It is not a pill but holds very tightly to the bottom of the tube. My worry was that when I look at the part that I draw off to throw away that there is quite a few very motile sperm cells in that. I can certainly slow it all down if that will help me out. Thanks Carl

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US