SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Chemical Collection

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Chemical Collection « Previous Next »

sharon Hackel
Posted From: 63.19.2.172
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I have been reading the list for about a year now and this is my first post. I have a coming three year old Stallion with a stifle injury and would like to know about chemical collection. I understand the protocol but am wondering if anyone has any further advise. I was unable to find the "Article" link on it in the Equine-Reproduction site and would like some info on how to search that site also. My vet is going to try to collect him chemically soon but this is a first for him.
Sharon from Kansas

Laurie
Posted From: 209.233.215.238
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what chemical collection is, but it sounds like he'd be a good candidate for Ground collection.

Jos
Posted From: 165.121.199.54
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a good article on chemical ejaculation in Adobe .pdf format at the University of Pennsylvania (New Bolton) site.

You will need the assistance of your veterinarian to perform chemical collection as the drugs used are restricted.

We have used chemical collection quite a bit, and have found that it works about 70% of the time in 70% of stallions - so only about 50% of the time overall, which is not reliable enough to make it useful for a transported semen program, but it can be very beneficial if there is a problem with an injured stallion and semen is to be frozen (or there is not the concern about not getting an ejaculation).

There is a search engine at the foot of the links page on our site. Enter the term you are searching for, and if the term is used in any of the links titles or description, you will get a "hit". If the term does not show up, check the spelling, and change the term - the subject may be covered, but described differently in the link description. There are over 500 links catalogued, so it is quite possible.

sharon hackel
Neonate
Username: Sheri

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, my veterinarian has been chemically collecting my 3 yr WB stallion this year for my own use. He followed the imiprine/xylizine protocol outlined from New Bolton center. We had a number of consecutive successful collections. Out last successful collection was July 2. Now we have had four unsuccessful attempts. The following occurs--after xylizine injection stallion will drop, become erect, act as if he is going to give a sample, stay erect for up to several minutes, then retract. Any ideas on what might be happening?
Thanks,
Sharon from Kansas

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10278
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is important to note - as I outlined in my previous post above - that the rate of success is about 70% in 70% of stallions. This may well mean that you have simply hit a statistical equalizer point...

Having said that, one thing that I would look at is how soon after the previous attempt/collection are you trying again? Imipramine has a very long half-life (20 hours) and if you are trying on successive days and giving imipramine again, you may actually be overdosing, and one of the side-effects of overdosing with imipramine (in the human) is suppression of the ejaculatory process. This has not been specifically researched in the equine, but we have encountered the same sort of situation that you have, and have reduced the impipramine dosage to provide the correct level for the day and had success.

Note too that we have not generally noticed an erection associated with the ejaculation - in our experience stallions have ejaculated with a flaccid penis. You may therefore want to discuss increasing the Xylazine dosage with your vet - we have had success doing that too.

Overall, we have found that one needs to titrate dosages for individual animals for optimal results. Overdosing or underdosing leads to an increase of failures.

Let us know how you make out!

sharon hackel
Neonate
Username: Sheri

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is the chemical ejaculation protocol we are using. 1 miligram imipramine/kg body weight. 2 hour wait. Tease. Calm down approx 15 minutes.
3 cc Xylazine (1000 lb stallion). This worked well at first. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sharon

srhackel@msn.com (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.146.2.172
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning my vet attempted another chemical ejaculation on my 3 yr old. We used a smaller dose on imipramine than in the past but still we not successful. Could that fact that the mares are settling down and not having such fierce heats be part of the problem--since he does not seem to tease as well prior to the Xylazine.
We did have him on 2mg/kilo imipramine and brought it down to 1mg/kilo. He hardly dropped at all. Or, could he be building up a resistance to the Xylazine and not becoming sedated enough. I am anxious to work past this.
Thanks Sharon from Kansas

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10304
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have successfully used 600 mg Imipramine (oral) for a ~1,000 lb stallion. We follow that up with olfactory stimulation in conjunction with the Xylazine, we do not tease but use an estrus urine soaked rag for the stallion to sniff. In our experience, too much excitement prior to the Xylazine lowered the success rate.

A standard tranquilizing dose of Xylazine seemed to work for us, but titrating the dose for the individual animal was sometimes necessary (i.e. increase or decrease based on success or over-tranquilization).

We have never seen a true erection, and in many cases merely a relaxation and partial extension of the flaccid penis.

And as I noted above - it only works about 70% of the time in 70% of stallions, so you may have hit a statistical "blip". We had one stallion that we repeatedly collected with no trouble, and then he quit on us and we could only get him intermittently.

Michele Noonan
Neonate
Username: Fjordlady

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question about ground collection. I have a stallion that was just diagnosed with Wobbler syndrome due to a neck injury. Has anyone had success with ground collection when the stallion has some nerve issues? He can't support himself enough to mount a dummy or mare and before he gets any worse we wanted to consider AI on some of my mares or freezing

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have used it to collect horses with nerve issues. Do be aware though that success and safety will vary from situation to situation dependent upon the individual animal's condition.

Note that ground collection and chemical collection (this thread's topic) are not the same thing.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US