SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New to Breeding...Advice?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » New to Breeding...Advice? « Previous Next »

Spunkycolt
Neonate
Username: Spunkycolt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi...I'm very new to this forum. Just registered. Anyways. I have just bought a yearling stud colt. (will be two in may)I have handled stallions and very high spirited geldings or very 'studdy' geldings before. The majority of my life has been revolving around horse. This colt an excellent stud candidate and if *crossed fingers* at three i feel he is in fact a good stud prospect I will introduce him to his first mare. If not he will be gelded and become a much loved pleasure and showing boyI plan on taking him to a good trainer in the future to refine his manners and i would like to show him. He is pure Arabian and I know both his parents and his previous owners feel he has a temperament suitable for a stable minded stallion. HOWEVER. I am new to breeding. I have handled stallions and I do own a weanling stud colt, but i have never bred. i will not be alone in this, i have a few experienced people in this field to help me, but i want to learn as much as possible from different resources. Everyone has to start somewhere, however i would rather not be blind and completely naive.

Does anyone have any opinions on Stallion barns? I would think that harmone levels would drop quite abit...please tell me what you think.

Thanks

Spunkycolt

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think just the fact your willing to wait until he's 3 shows you've done a bit of homework.

I try not to isolate my stallions, I prefer that that they can see and socialize with everyone else. I usually sandwhich them between two geldings and allow them to be able to touch and socialize.

Since he's only a yearling, I would suggest finding him a gelding buddy right away, ideally one you can pony him off of.

Spunkycolt
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

I know there are so many stallions out there that really shouldn't be there. That i way i can absolutly know for sure at three if he is a good prospect and geld him before i introduce him. They change so much after breeding from what i have seen and witnessed. Buy waiting I can make sure his mind is matured enough as well.

Is it wise to put a gelding in with him for now? or better to keep a sturdy fence in between? What about my weanling colt? he will be gelded this fall but they will be closest in age. Would it be better for an older more experianced gelding to teach him how to be a horse?

Thanks!

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.196.103.102
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as he isn't too aggressive I would put him in with at least one gelding, but preferably a small group of geldings. More stallions than you think can be turned out with geldings as long as there are no mares present. We had an 8 yo TB breeding stallion that was turned out with a pony gelding, no problems whatsover, even with mares around. If he bred a mare he would get a little snarky with the pony for an hour or so afterwards, but that was it. This guy lived out 24/7 with this pony and was a very happy well-adjusted stallion.
I know another girl who has a group of stallions and geldings that are all turned out together. As long as she doesn't turn mares out near them they're fine. At one point she had at least 7 stallions turned out together - bachelor herds do exist naturally.
While I would definitely not recommend trying to turn an older stallion that had lived a solitary life out with a buddy, your young fella should be better off for it. That being said I did have a Morgan colt who I did end up gelding because he got too aggressive with most other geldings, but really, I have heard and seen more success stories than not. Just be careful.

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.196.103.102
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only hesitation about the weanling and yearling together is that they will probably play roughly with each other. Young boys tend to mark each other up. Forgot to mention that in my previous post.

Spunkycolt
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I think i will try it, but like you said i will be careful and switch partners if it gets to ruff
Thanks!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US