SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Overly aggressive stallion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Overly aggressive stallion « Previous Next »

G Blaze
Neonate
Username: English

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been my year of "problem stallions". Our 8yr old stallion who wouldnt cover a mare finally did in June and we are expecting 3 foals by him next year. It took him awhile but he finally figured out what to do.

Now I have another stallion, he is 11yrs old and has never bred a mare. He raced until he was 9 and suffered a bad injury that he has finally recovered enough that he is sound enough for breeding. Gorgeous 17+h stallion who is a complete monster to control. We tried to "test" breed him to a mare and he nearly savaged her to death until she kicked him in the mouth...he never mounted just bit her shoulders, withers, ankles, hocks and anything else he could bite! And he screamed and reared and was totally agressive thruout the entire ordeal. I have bought a chiffney bit since his assistant trainer at the track said he responds well to chiffneys (nothing else controls him well). I have been told that we could tranq him and try again...has anyone else ever tranq'd a stallion before breeding a mare? Any ideas or advice would be very appreciated! I am not a novice breeder as I have been standing stallions since 1989 but this year has been interesting to say the least!

thank you

LRidgeway
Weanling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your going to use a bit to control him you might as well throw on a figure 8 noseband or a drop nose band. That will fix the biting (temporarily). You might also try using 2 handlers, one on either side, so that he's in 'cross ties' and is unable to 'get at' either handler.

I would also suggest you start with plenty of teasing, let him tease/socialize with every mare on the property and not try to do a live cover until he's at least in control when you tease.

It sounds like he just needs lot's of socializing..

Anonymous

Posted From: 216.148.248.31
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We muzzle stallions that bite and put easy boots on them in the front to protect the mare.

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.169.207.65
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As LRidgeway suggests, he needs to be in control when you tease or for that matter, do anything with him. The more handle that you get on him the better. He needs to know that there are boundries for him.

You may need to ask for help from someone who has experience with problem stallions. This could be a serious problem that could turn dangerous for man and mare.

Consider padding the mare for her protection. A heavily padded blanket may help protect her. I would also add an upper lip chain for control. Once he respects that, things can get easier.

Giving a tranquilizer may help while you attempt ground training with the teasing process. Start with a small amount and then back off untill he is understanding the entire process. Breeding should be done when he is trained and cooperating.

G Blaze
Neonate
Username: English

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have been told he is much calmer now than he ever was at the track. He doesnt respect a lip chain at all, but I have managed to control him with a chiffney and I think adding the muzzle will definitely help.

He is a hyper active stallion who definitely could get dangerous. If he even sees a mare he screams, rears and throws his body into walls...but in the 3 months that he has been here he is getting better with that as well.

Thanks for the advice and opinions. They run much as I had expected its going to be a time and training issue before breeding season starts next year. I was kinda hoping for a quick fix

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a quick fix...find the article on Ground collection and leave the mare completely out of it :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US