SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Volume of Ejaculate?? What causes this

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Volume of Ejaculate?? What causes this « Previous Next »

Gypsy Cob
Weanling
Username: Gypsy_cob

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a three and a half year old Gypsy Cob stallion, yesterday we had to collect him for AI. He overflowed the bottle giving about 300mls and obviously with that volume the density wasn't good enough for extending and sending away so we left him about 20 minutes and collected again, this time there was enough sperm to send a collection away but he still gave 180mls.
There are also a lot of undeveloped sperm - if they were all good he would really need diluting down to see them moving about under the microscope... basically he still has the same count he had before but is now producing a lot extra so to speak in volume and immature swimmers.... there are still sufficient numbers of swimmers even in those larger volumes with progressive forward motility and he gets mares in foal no worries I'm just interested to know why he is beginning to produce such massive volumes all of a sudden with the count starting to increase at a rapid rate of nots also to balance out the volume.
Could this be in anyway related to his diet? We have him on a specific diet to assist in fertility as were in the breeding season over this part of the world...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seasonality can affect volume, but probably the greatest factor is the amount of teasing that the stallion is exposed to. The more teasing, the greater the volume of secondary sex gland secretions (seminal plasma), but not an increase in sperm - so the concentration drops. A reduction in the amount of teasing prior to collection should assist. Genetics are a factor, as well as "stallion-individuality" (i.e. some produce greater volume than others), but those are not alterable.

You reference "a lot of undeveloped sperm". Define "undeveloped sperm" - what are you seeing? Bear in mind when extending for shipment that you need to calculate your final concentration of between 25 and 50 million/ml based upon total sperm numbers, as all sperm will use the nutrients in the extender.

Relationship to diet is not likely, as the only dietary factor seen to make a difference is the omega-3 fatty acid group, and that improves ejaculate quality.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relationship to diet is not likely, as the only dietary factor seen to make a difference is the omega-3 fatty acid group, and that improves ejaculate quality.

Thanks Jos, he is on a diet high in the above :-) thank you... glad to know it actually does help.

Re volume, he only teases on the days that there is a mare he will be covering or if we need to collect, however of course being that we have a large stud all the ladies about who get wafted on the winds to him are probably the cause of these massive volumes.
Defiantly when he gave 300mls it was too diluted to ship really.

I dont know what these undeveloped cells are, they look like sperm with no tails I believe. Thats the only light I can shed there, sorry, not to helpful.

Will the volume that my boy is giving cause him discomfort? Should we collect him once a week or something for his own comfort? I know that may be a stupid question but its something I have been wondering about for a while, if they get uncomfortable.

Once again thanks so much for your advice and time

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know what these undeveloped cells are, they look like sperm with no tails I believe.

I was worried that was going to be your answer when you said "if they were all good he would really need diluting down to see them moving about under the microscope"... It sounds as though you are dealing with an "accumulator stallion". Stallions produce billions of sperm every day, but they also - normally - shed billions of dead sperm in their urine every day. With a accumulator stallion, for some reason they do not shed the sperm daily as a result of a blockage at the ampullae. It is only when they ejaculate that the sperm are released - both healthy and dead. In extreme cases, one will see a concentration of quite literally billions per ml (rather than the usual millions/ml) and 99+% dead sperm with separated tails (so one sees tail-less sperm, or just the heads). These are not immature sperm, but ones that in fact are overly-mature and breaking down.

It can be difficult successfully managing an accumulator stallion for shipping (or ultimately for even live cover when it gets bad enough), and the solution is to collect him repeatedly prior to the collection that one wants to use, until you are seeing a good quality ejaculate. The problem with repeated collections (and I'm talking 2 or 3 times a day for multiple days with severe cases in order to clean them out) is that it of course depletes the gonadal reserves, so by the time one gets to the point where one is seeing good quality ejaculates as far as motility and morphology are concerned, the concentration and total sperm numbers are quite likely to have dropped significantly. Consequently, these boys are often better managed by being "cleaned out" and then collected every other day on a regular basis even if one does not need semen.

As far as collecting "to make him comfortable", that's not something you have to worry about :-). If you think about it, you'll realise that the seminal plasma volume is produced "on demand" at the time of collection/breeding, so it's not like urine with a bladder that's filling up to the point of discomfort unless it's released! He probably won't complain though, and if you are managing him correctly for the accumulator situation, you will be collecting him regularly anyway.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GAH! I don't like the sound of this! Are accumulator situations common? Can they suddenly develop? His last collection a week before wasn't like the above, small amounts re volume and a large density of progressively motile swimmers and the collection only looked a little bit "dirty" so to speak.
Does the situation worsen with age? Can it be a phase they go through? Anything and everything you can tell me or point me in the direction of would be wonderful.

Thanks Jos, your worth your weight in gold!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, accumulator stallions are more common that I would like! I would estimate off the top of my head that about 5% of stallions fall into that category - just "shooting from the hip" on that statistic from our own experience, and without reviewing records, so don't quote me on it!! :-)

The situation probably doesn't suddenly appear, but in our experience, it is often not identified with prior evaluations having not picked up on it. The "dirty" appearance can often be suggestive of the condition in itself, with the worst that I have seen presenting ejaculates that are almost the colour of chocolate milk. The situation does tend to become worse with age, and it is unlikely to be a "phase".

With management, it can be overcome, but it does need a little management as described in my prior post. There really isn't much else to be said, but if you want to contact me privately, I will be happy to assist if I can. You can use our contact page for the initial contact.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok thanks so much Jos, I will e-mail you tonight (AU time) after I'm home from work, I defiantly do have some questions :-( ranging from it being hereditary? through to worsening due to high temps and colds...

Gypsy Cob
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and also, are there any images anywhere on line that show what this looks like? I'm going to look myself now at some extended semen from the collection done on Sunday night so I can really have a clear visual of what its like too.
I think I may ask our repro vet from last year who did a semen evaluation on him if we can send her some semen to look at also??

Chris
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its very stallion specific in my experience. I have collected some very "dirty" semen in the morning and had the stallion return later in the day for a nice clean normal collect. There is no way that I know of that can predict whether any ampulae blockage is occurring preventing dead sperm entering the uretha and being passed with the urine. We had a very late collection to do 2 weeks ago and got a huge amount of accumulated sperm cells, so many in fact I couldn't ID any live ones. Our repro vet recommended 1ml oxytocin for the stallion on arrival here which was approx 20 minutes prior to ejaculation. We collected a very nice sample and the mare was inseminated without incident. Fingers crossed for +ve scan any day now.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a minor blockage that cleared completely after a single clean-out collection. While one might see an increase from 1% progressively motile sperm (PMT) to perhaps 20-25%, that is still inadequate for shipping, although one might get away with on-farm use if the sperm numbers were high enough. In my experience, it takes typically a minimum of 3 or 4 clean-out collections to get the PMS percentage up to "OK".

The half-life of oxytocin is only about 7 minutes in the equine, so one can give a dose of the drug quite literally as the stallion is on his way down to the collection area. Giving it 20 minutes is going to produce only about a 2/5 effect, and 5 half-lives represents elimination of circulating levels!

Chris
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare scanned in-foal last week so all good. Reason it was 20 minutes Jos is the stallion likes to play with the phantom and usually the 3rd or 4th intromisssion before ejaculation occurs

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US