SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cryptorchid 2 yr old

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Cryptorchid 2 yr old « Previous Next »

Tracey Hoogeveen
Neonate
Username: Rrs

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
I have a 2yr old warmblood colt who was gelded as an 11 month old. He was already trying to breed mares at that age. When he was gelded it was found that only one testicle had dropped and the other one could not be felt.

I was informed that I might be able to give him Fertiline to help the other one drop............does anyone know if this is possible and if so what the dossage is?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is considered unethical veterinary practice to remove only one testicle in a cryptorchid stallion, so it is surprising that your veterinarian would have done that... :-(

The idea behind using a LH such as Fertiline or hCG is that it will cause a testosterone spike. In the event that the testicle is retained in the inguinal canal (in which case it should have been palpable at the time of the castration), then it may be encouraged to descend. The further up in the inguinal canal that the retained testicle is located, the less likely it is to descend. If it is retained abdominally, it will not descend.

Bottom line is that you need a further veterinary evaluation, but you might want to use a more ethical vet...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm shocked too, that the vet would only remove one. I am trying to put myself in this scenario where I am the customer with the horse, and my vet is saying for whatever reason, "I'm only going to take one out". I understand that he could not 'feel' the other one, but technically, shouldn't they then ultrasound and find out specifically where the other one is? So that it can too be removed?? I honestly can't imagine how you'd find yourself happy with this situation over the last year...
In addition to still having a stallion, you also have a horse who will (possibly) need a surgery to remove the other testicle. Unethical, I'd say yes....hope he at least only charged you 1/2 price LOL
Either way, good luck with your stallion, and I hope it all works out well for you in the end.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The primary reason why it is considered unethical to remove a single testicle in a cryptorchid situation is that once removed, there is no way to determine (using regular pre-purchase techniques) that the horse is not a gelding. Hence, a purchaser could get an unpleasant surprise at some point in the future...

Veterinarians are instructed in school to check for two testicles prior to commencing a castration, and if not both present to advise the client that the castration cannot proceed (unless there is a specific medical reason).

Except for a few who unfortunately don't follow that practice... :-(

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3611
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's very understandable.

Tracey Hoogeveen
Neonate
Username: Rrs

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We never checked for both testicles...just assumed so as much my fault as the vet's. I figured that everything was fine due to him being so studdy at 10-11months. It was not determined that he has only one till after the sedative was given and the horse was on the ground with the cut already beginning......the vet spent alot of time trying to find the hidden one but to no avail.........He thought maybe because he was so young that the other one would come down eventually............no luck yet!!

hedgerow farm
Yearling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a pony colt (14 months) that really needed gelding that had only one down, I had been groping him for months. I had him ultra sounded and it was nowhere in sight, so I had to wait or send him to the University Vet School and drop $1200. Off course I waited, I turned him out with a 2 yr. old gelding. They did a lot of rearing and wrestling and 4 months later he had 2 down. I always wondered if all the rearing and streching(I saw him do the splits several times) helped open thing up to allow the 2nd testicle to drop.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been instances of stallions not having a second testicle drop until their sixth year, but the testicle has to be external to the inguinal ring (i.e. not abdominally retained) in order for that to happen.

As I said above, a thorough careful ethical evaluation is required for this horse.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US