SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion went from amazing semen to all dead...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Stallion went from amazing semen to all dead... « Previous Next »

maggie Hale
Neonate
Username: Yellowpaints

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

History
5 year old old stallion, collected a few times prior to this year, no problems noted. Easy to collect, mares in foal etc.

I purchased early this year. He is at breeding farm. All has been good. As a matter of fact his counts are 600-800 continually with an every other day collection, giving us about 30ml each time. Shipped well, no problems noted and mares in foal.

Was turned out appx 2 weeks ago as we were not planning on breeding anymore. Found mare had slipped a foal so brought him in to collect the day before yesterday. He would become erect but did not collect after trying several different mares and giving him a time out etc.

Yesterday he collected, HIGH count, in the 800s again but ALL DEAD. Breeder felt maybe a mistake had been made so waited a few hours and collected again. ALL DEAD.

We have a culture scheduled but otherwise there are no abnormalities noted in the stallion. No fever, eating normally, collected well yesterday, no tenderness when washing etc. He has not been vaccinated recently nor has he been ill.

Other than some type of infection, what else might be the cause?

Added note, the count on the 2nd collection was HIGHER than the 1st..(which should have been down since it was only two hours later I would think) it was in the 900s

We have collected him quite a little this year, I think we have confirmed at least 14 mares in foal and have not had any issues noted until now.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2833
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it is of course difficult to make an accurate suggestion without seeing the situation, it sound as though the stallion may be an "accumulator".

Stallions produce billions of sperm every day, but only get to ejaculate once in a while, so the sperm that have gone past their "best before" date are normally released by the billions daily in the urine. If there is a blockage that prevents that from happening, he can only release the dead sperm when he actually ejaculates. At that time, it is common to see high counts - sometimes in the billions/ml - and extremely low or no motility. A microscopic evaluation of the sperm may also show a high percentage of separated heads and tails (typically noted as lots of heads but no tails). I would evaluate the microscope slide again and see if you have evidence of that.

In the event that you are seeing the above scenario, there is no solution other than repeatedly collecting the stallion until the motility levels become acceptable - this can take multiple collections over a series of several days - and once he is "cleaned out" one has to keep collecting him on a regular basis (2 or 3 times a week is usually adequate) to keep him cleaned out. You may wish to discuss the use of oxytocin prior to collecting with your veterinarian if they are experienced with stallion reproduction (many vets are not familiar with stallion reproduction, so may not know about the oxytocin use).

Let us know how you make out.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos can you elaborate about the oxytoxin use in a stallion?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The oxytocin causes smooth muscle contraction, which results in compression of the ampullae of the deferent duct, hopefully releasing any blockage there. This should then allow passage of the stored sperm - quite often to a greater degree than without the use of the oxytocin.

maggie Hale
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. I have passed this onto the place my stallion is standing. I would guess we could test this theory fairly easily.. Collect him over a period of several days, keep track of counts. Then let him go a bit as we did and collect again and see if this occurs again?

Thank you again for your assistance. It sounds like while annoying and time consuming this problem can be resolved with good management during breeding season.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the stallion has good libido, I would suggest collecting him several times a day if you can, until you see an improvement in the sperm motility. Obviously sperm numbers are likely to decrease over that period of time (eventually), but don't worry about that if the percentage motile increases.

As you note, you can figure it out fairly easily - if the motility increases with regular collection, the you know that's the problem.

maggie Hale
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I ask what might cause this to start occuring? The stallion had been collected a few times last year and the year before and noone noted any issues (that we know of) I did visit with the breeder and they took a look at the sample again that was dead (it was retained for their vet to look) and said it was missing some tails etc. They also looked at breeding records and found that his count did seem more NORMAL when he was being collected every other day.

This stallion has a decent libido but they have to have it quiet, no distractions etc or he will lose sight of his job at hand... So they are going to try and collect him several days in a row and then see where we are at.

The question they had, and I have is what may have (or can) caused this and can we do anything to fix it other than good breeding management?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cause is unknown, although in some cases a possible hereditary connection has been noted.

There is no way to "fix" it other than what I have referenced above - repeatedly collecting the stallion even if you are not going to use the semen, in order to keep him "cleaned out". Do be aware that it is more likely to get worse the older he gets if this is the problem you are experiencing. :-(

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Maggie
How is our stallion doing, did the collecting several days in a row help?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US