SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Need advice, Bruised testicle

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Need advice, Bruised testicle « Previous Next »

Susan Phillips
Neonate
Username: Pnut1999

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jo’s and everyone here on this site.

This will be the first time I have posted here though I’ve been on here reading for a couple years now. Hope ya’ll can cast some light on my problem. This is my 5yr old stallions first year at breeding. I’m breeding to my mares only this year so not a stressful year for him or myself.

So, he bred his first mare, first day things went great. Mare was totally receptive to him and he was a gentleman, mounted, and flagged. Second breeding to this mare she showed for him tail up, winking, stance, but when he would go to mount she wouldn’t have any of it. Kicking etc… Yes, she was in hobbles but my mistake was not double checking behind the person who put the hobbles on. Thou to say hobbles came loose he was kicked a couple of times before I could get him away.
Problem is… he looked fine there was a mark on his stifle area where you could see she connected with him but otherwise testicles/penis looked untouched. That was on the 3rd now the 6th, thou not swollen he shows bruising on one testicle, the side he was struck in the stifle area. It’s not a dark purple but a very light discoloring of the one. He is a cremello and so the bruising is noticeable thou only light in color. No signs of hematoma. He doe’s tuck it up when touched other than that things seem normal. He was even rode with no signs of discomfort.

What concerns should I have? He hasn’t changed his attitude for the mare’s stills shows interest thou not breeding again until all is healed.

I know AI is the way to go and the safest. But do to unavoidable happenings, I was unable to get set up for AI this year. I am not new to breeding though this is my first personal stallion. I am just worried I have screwed things up for him and possible fertility issues.

Any words from more knowledgeable people on this would be great.
Many Thanks,
Susan

Susan Phillips
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, one more thing. There is also no signs of heat, just the discoloring.

Thanks again

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The concern would be (obviously) internal damage resulting in something like a hematocoele. If you have concerns (and it appears you do) have your veterinarian ultrasound the affected testicle[s].

FWIW, mares can still kick with hobble on even if they don't come undone. It may not be quite as hard a kick, but it can still sometimes be hard enough... :-(

You say you couldn't get set up for AI... I urge you to look at building a power-pole breeding mount (very cheap to build yourself) and invest a little money in an AV and simply collect the semen and inseminate it straight into the mare on farm. If you want to add extender that is obviously better, but simply collecting and inseminating is still far safer than breeding live cover, even though it's not the ideal way to do AI. And it may save your stallion...

Susan Phillips
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your response Jo’s.

Yes, I know hobbles will not stop a kick but sure can lessen the blow if done right. Again, my bad for not double checking things.

Believe me, I wish I had been able to set up things, for AI, before the breeding season got here. Emergencies and tragedies sometime changes ones plans. I’m defiantly going to get things going now.

Again thanks
Susan

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Susan
Once you start doing AI you will never go back to live cover. I have done it on a very tight budget. I built my own phantom with a built-in AV and made my own colorado style AVs out of 6" conduit. The conduit is heavier than PCV but it holds the heat for a long time and I got it for free. A friend gave me a nice microscope he had when in college, you might find one on Craigs List. Got a thermometer from a company on ebay for $12, tested against my friend $40 thermometer. I keep collecting items, this month I hope to get a hemacytometer, a big investment for me. I bought a water bath off of Ebay for around $85 (including shipping), it was my Christmas present to myself. I plan on building a stock to put the mares in to inseminate and a teasing wall. A centrifuge (not sure I really need one but it would be fun play with) and a Quick Check sperm counter are on my wish list when I win the lottery. If I can do it, anyone can do it, it will make life so much easier and safer for everyone. Hope your boy is OK.

Susan Phillips
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, things seem to be good with my boy. Still won’t breed tell all the bruising has gone and then will look at sperm but vet said everything seem to be good.:-) Anyway, no more live cover for him.

Hedgerow,

Doing AI has been my plan from the get go but in the last 18 months I had a tree take out half my house, my mom, who lives with me lost her leg and my brother past away. So, things got put on the back burner.

I do have a few things just need to "collect" :-) a few more basic things. How do you like the phantom with the built in AV? I have heard both positive and neg. things not sure if I will go that route or not. I'll probably use the power pole model. I do have the Colorado AV. I acquired that when they where tearing down an old Arabian farm here in town. It was funny in that I came across this trunk and said “wouldn’t it be neat if it had AV’s in there” and wala, there it was. It is the older model, just need to get all the liners and things to go with it. I do have a microscope; I purchased that before everything went haywire in my life. I've never used a water bath so not sure on that though seems like its more affordable then the incubator. My husband says he can make an incubator out of a dorm fridge. I told him it had to be accurate with no variations. He said he could, so we will see. I would love to have a Quick Check sperm counter but like you, when I when the lottery. Believe me, I, too, am on a tight budget.
Thanks for the info
Susan

hedgerow farm
Weanling
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I'm so sorry, you are due some good fortune. I hope this is the beginning of good times for you and your family.

I have to collect by myself, my parents are in their mid to late 70's so the best they can do is call 911. My phantom with the built in AV works for me, I don't have the strength in my hands any more to hold the AV with one hand and the lead line in the other. My colt, Sparky is very clever about mounting and finding the AV. He has always liked mounting it from the end and moving up tight on the phantom not leaving much room for the AV and to deflect his penis. Other stallion I have handled in my younger days mounted at an angle on the phantom, more on the side so it is easier to deflect and there is more room for the AV but Sparky prefers mounting like it is a mare. I have tried approaching the side in the middle of the phantom, he will mount then back down the phantom to the end and shift over so he is perfectly straight behind it, just like he is mounting a mare. I added extra padding so my phantom has hips which he really likes. The other issue I had was holding the AV level so the AV stayed tight at the base of his penis when he was in the AV, got to keep them happy. I'm sure you will figure out what your boy prefers, please let us know how his phantom training goes. Be safe.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US