SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

PH Levels and the Sex of the Foals

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » PH Levels and the Sex of the Foals « Previous Next »

Bev Thompson
Neonate
Username: Spanishtrot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoping to get a little advice here. I have recently purchased a stallion. He is fabulously trained, easy to handle and ride and a gentleman in the shed.

He has 20 foals on the ground and 17 of them are fillies.

Normally folks would be opening the champagne, but in this breed (Andalusian) colts are the money bringers.

Now this guy produces some gorgeous offspring. The seller has retained breedings. I have read that aside from doing AI and seperating the X and Y semen, you can feed for higher PH to encourage the male swimmers.

I understand folks can do this on the mares side as well. I am wondering if there is a feeding program for the stallion that will help even out the colt/filly ratio?

Thank you in advance.

ST

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you will hear people telling you that this works, you will also hear people telling you that you get more fillies (or colts) if you breed the mare facing uphill/breed on a waxing moon/breed further out from ovulation etc. etc. None have been demonstrated as being the case in scientific studies. If it makes you feel better, have at it, but don't count on it producing the desired results! :-)

The only scientifically proven method of improving the chances of a filly (or colt) is to use a flow-cytometer to sex-sort the sperm and breed accordingly. That has been demonstrated to produce a 90% accuracy.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, how common is it to sex-sort the sperm? Can it be done with frozen (just out of curiousity)?

I'm breeding a mare this year (still waiting for her foal, will be bred back to the same stallion) and would do just about anything for a filly. This particuliar Hanoverian stallion has really really good semen (he's actually notorious for it). It is fresh cooled. I'd be very interesting in having this done to get a filly, as the foal that she is due with any day was determined to be a colt at 60 days gestation. Do most repro facilities have the capabilities to do this?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sex-sorting sperm in the equine world is rarely done. In the bovine world, it is both more common and considerably cheaper. Cost per dose in the bovine world I have heard is about an additional $35 (for frozen semen); for the equine though the last price quote I heard was $5,000. That is largely due to the fact that stallions do not produce as many insemination doses per ejaculate as a bull (about 10 on average vs. up to about 200 for a bull), and more sperm are required for each insemination dose for a mare.

The technology to sort sperm is also expensive - it requires a flow-cytometer unit, cost about $1 million. Hence, you're not going to find this in most repro facilities! XY Inc. actually hold the worldwide patent on the protocol, so you will need to start by contacting them.

Let us know how it goes!

Bev Thompson
Neonate
Username: Spanishtrot

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
So are you telling me that to your knowledge, there is no research available that indicates that the male vice female sperm respond differently to PH levels? We know the males are faster swimmers. Making the environment more conducive to either or doesn't seem too far out there.

I really wouldn't want to toss it in with holding the nail over the mare or flushing with turpentine, or lunar cycles just yet. ;-)

There has to be a reason that some stallions are "all colt" or "all filly" or "just right".

Surely we are smarter than the ol' shoulder shrugging method by now when it comes to critter breeding?

BTW- I'd want to be really sure of my mare before tossing an additional $5K in the mix for sorting. Wow!

Thanks for the reply!

ST

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that it will be guaranteed to do is make the mare owner happier... :-)

I'm not sure that we horse breeders are smarter... how many do you know that consider fertility when selecting breeding stock - including the mares? Primary selection revolves around how fast they run, how high they jump or how "pretty" they are, not fertility... and the pregnancy/foaling rates show it! What's worse is that fertility is somewhat heritable, so we are breeding in many cases for less fertility all the time!!!

Carol
Yearling
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've actually contacted the XYInc. about this very thing (2006) and at that time they said they were not set up to do this in horses on a commercial basis. I gathered they were doing some tests, etc., on their own horses. I was hoping to get semen sorted to be all Xs as I wanted fillies. As it turned out, I never needed XYInc. anyway because in 2007 all I got were fillies. But I can tell you, the very minute this opens up to horses on a commercial scale, I'll probably sign up because I tend to only want fillies.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US