SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Possible Fertility Issues with my Stallion. Please help.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Possible Fertility Issues with my Stallion. Please help. « Previous Next »

Krista Buynak
Neonate
Username: Kaolru

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, my name is Krista and I am 19 years old. I am now the proud owner of an AQHA registered Grullo Stallion by the name of Whip to Impress, aka: Smoke.
He is nine years old and does rather well for a stallion. He is my first horse, and I know it is frowned upon to have a stallion as your first horse, but I have a lot of help from my trainer. He is boarded with her after all.
Anyway, more to the point.
My trainer wanted to breed him to her mare, which I gave her full permission, even though we both had a feeling it wouldn't happen.
When we first went to see him before my purchase, we were told that he is believed to be infertile. His previous owner had him since he was nine months old, and had tried to breed him several times over the years, but to no avail. They told us specifically that if they knew him to be fertile, he wouldn't be for sale.
Now the mare we just recently bred him to is showing signs of heat, and we are about positive that it didn't take.
Now I am not all that familiar with breeding horses, despite doing as much research as I can. I just want to know what could possibly be the problem, and approximately how much it would cost to have him checked. I have a very limited income, so no matter what I'd have to save up for it, I just want a rough estimation.
He is a beautiful horse with nice conformation, good bloodlines, and a gorgeous color. If he cannot produce, I am going to geld him in hopes of it calming him down, but if he can I wouldn't dare.
Any and all advice and information is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that you do not mention is the current age of the colt/stallion. If very young, that certainly can have an impact. What will be needed for testing will depend to some degree what is found in the initial evaluation. The starting point is almost certainly going to be a physical evaluation (reproductively speaking - primarily testicular presence, size and condition) and then a semen collection and evaluation (to confirm sperm presence, and condition). What that will cost is going to vary from location to location, but depending upon where in PA you are located, you might want to contact the University of Pennsylvania (New Bolton) who should be able to assist you.

Krista Buynak
Neonate
Username: Kaolru

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be rude, but I must correct you on that I did in fact state his age. I said that he is nine years old, it is right below his name.
I am very new to breeding horses, and it is not something I want to just jump into. I live in Clearfield Pennsylvania, and am just looking for an idea as to what the problem could be, and what I can do to have a vet give him a good and thorough evaluation.
I just really need to know how much it may cost, as I have said, my income is quite low.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of stallions age or who's right or wrong, you should probably just contact the University of Pennsylvania and ask for prices. Jos offered you the name of a competent vet in your area. He can't quote you a price for what it will cost you in PA. If you don't live near UofPa, then possibly, they will know a decent vet in your area, and they can give you the phone number, and you can call for a price list?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what it costs in Pennsylvania, but for a full semen collection/evaluation/testing with extenders, etc... it is around $250-$300 in California.

I would advise you to have this done before purchasing a stallion if you decide to buy another. There is really no way to tell "what the problem might be", without having a full semen evaluation done.

Jennifer Seaman
Weanling
Username: C_j_quarterhorses

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Ohio there is a place close to the PA border called Stallion Services (http://www.stallionservices.com/) West Farmington, OH. They have a complete price list on their website under Stallion pages. It's relatively inexpensive for the test, what isn't is them training to mount a phantom to collect the stallion (especially if your horse doesn't take to it right away). May be able to give you an idea of cost.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US