SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Colt Foal / sTALLIONS

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Colt Foal / sTALLIONS « Previous Next »

Sam Gaukroger
Neonate
Username: Gaukey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can any one help me ? I have a 4 year old mare at home and i have just bought a 6 month olf Colt. i plan to keep the to sepearte but in the feild next to each other which worked very well when i bought a filly. How ever how long can i do this for ? do i have to get to a stage were hes out at night and in during the day so hes at less risk of people who are hacking out ? can he go out during the day but away from any passers bye and my mare in a field over the road ? i am really confused as most sites ive read says if you are not breeding them then you should have them cut? my intention is not really for breeding i just wanted a stallion! am i being really unfair ? Please help

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam: Be prepared, lol, you will get all sorts of different people's perspectives on stallion ownership on here! If your colt is only 6 months old, I wouldn't sweat it right now but shortly down the road, you are going to have to make a big decision. First, if you're not going to breed him, I'd geld him...he'll be a better horse for it.

I am a dreaded pasture breeder. LOL! And I own a stallion that lives in a field. Here's in my opinion, the issues that evolve around that. First, mares can be quite pushy when in heat and have no problems backing up to a fence to oblige your stallion, which usually results in the stallion getting the worst of what appears to be a bad beating with a post and barbed wire. If you're not using barbed wire, all the better for him, but he will learn he can mount a fence, a gate and the older he gets, he'll find ways to beat the heck out of it to get to where "the cookies are baking", if you know what I mean.

Secondly, we have to carry a pretty pricey insurance liability because of it. People ride up and down our road all the time with their horses and my boy can smell it a mile away and he will run the fence line with the best of them. Thank goodness we have exceptional double fencing along the road. If your mare is across the road...hmmmm...if he were to go through the fence to get her, now you've got danger number two...getting hit.

I think that most folks on here would agree, no matter what type of breeding program they run, that as a stallion owner, you have to take all the precautions possible to reduce the risk of injury and damage to others property. Its one thing if your stallion goes through, over, under or around a fence to get to your mare in season...its a whole other ballgame when its some innocent party that happens to be riding by or lives down the street from you.

Stallions are hard work. And even the best of them have the potential to hurt you. I wouldn't worry about breeding potential until he was about a year old, but I think from this point forward, you will get to see how the personality is going to come out if he remains a stallion. At six months, they're still cute and cuddly...they don't all stay that way and the older he gets, the more stallion habits he will develop and when and if you do decide its better to geld him, you may end up with already bad habits.

I can tell you that I THOUGHT an empty field between my big boy and mares would lend plenty of control...he blew that theory this year when he went through THREE sets of fences to get in with a mare.

I don't know if I helped much but I hope I gave you something to think about from experience.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam I agree with Bobbi but have my own two cents to add If he is not stallion material (this doesnt mean hes not an awsome horse) and you arent going to breed him actively geld him bc you are being unfair to him. If you sell him it will be difficult for him to find a good home as most ppl dont find stallion ownership intriging. Stallions must be handled regularly in a firm but GENTLE way that tolerates nothing out of line. Keeping a colt a stallion because you just want a stallion is really not the best choice in my opinion. I dont mean to sound mean as others on here can tell you I am NOT against stallions or pasture breeding. I am for the horses best interest and that is usualy to be a gelding. However if you are going to keep him a stallion you dont have to worry about breeding till 1 -1 1/2 yrs old even then I doubt hed push a fence till after hes two but this of course depends on his personality. My suggestion is barbless wire with an electric wire on high run 2-3 ft inside his fenceline if a mare is going to share his fence line a hotwire should be ran on her side as well. I dont beleive in keeping a stallion in isolation either tho.

Amanda Mitchell
Nursing Foal
Username: Mckulley1

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is going to depend on his mentality as he matures AND how you handle him and what kind of behavior you reinforce. The routine you set now will be the way you want to keep when he's more sexually mature.

We have a three year old stallion who when he arrived, had been kept solitary. He did not do well the first two days...and it took several months for him to adjust to living outside with a run in shed 24/7. We started with electric strands and placed them 7-8 feet high so he could not get his head over the fence. Now he's behind three strands of electric braid that is 5.5-6ft high, right next to mares. We demanded he have good behavior at ALL times and we made sure he was negatively reinforced by the fence line any time he tested it. Because of this, we now have an easily handled stallion who can be out 24/7 and be calm and relaxed at all times.

vanessa stokes
Neonate
Username: Nessy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a six month coloured colt that I am keeping entire as I will be using him for breeding. Personally I think if your boy is not going to be bred it is kinder for him to be gelded as he isnt then always driven by his desire to mate. I dont think handling and behaviour should be an issue in themselves as handled and kept correctly there is no reason why a stallion cant habe the same manners and respect the same boundaries as a mare or gelding.

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam I have only ever done pasture breeding with my stallion(I don't have one right now though) I would be careful with him. As long as the mare won't hurt him, at 6mths old I can not see any reason why you should keep him separate from your mare. Yes there have been a few cases of yearlings breeding, but its only once their about 18mths- 2yrs that you have to pull them out. I agree him going through the fence and possibly been hit on the road is a BIG risk. And if he gets out and breeds someone else's mare- you could end up in court. (Remote yes but it HAS happened before) If he gets out a tried or succeeded to breed a mare or pick a fight with another stallion being ridden past you on the road, casualities could be strewn everywhere.

Having said all that, if your really serious about this I'd wait a while a give him a chance. At his age, you have plenty of time to teach and instill the type of behaviour you want in him. And honestly, if there's no danger to him from the mare, he'd benefit from being in a herd situation.
PS I'm pretty good at training horses- if you want some advice email me privatley.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be aware of the fact that from about 9 months of age onwards, colts will typically be producing sperm and testosterone. Consequently the likelihood of an unwanted breeding will increase from 9 months onwards, and removal of the colt from mares at that point (if not sooner) is to be strongly recommended.

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had always thought that it was only when they were about 18mths they started being able to reproduce, with colts breeding as yearlings very rare. I had no idea they started at about 9mths. But it would be very unlikely for a 9mth old colt to get a mare in foal wouldn't Jos?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it is less likely, it most decidedly is not impossible. It is more likely if the colt is turned out with fillies rather than mares, as they are less likely to intimidate the colt to the same degree as a diestrus older mare might. Note that fillies may be capable of reproduction as young as 9 months as well - in fact we had an attendee at one of our shortcourses recently that had a filly get pregnant at 6 months... :-(

I would therefore note term it "very unlikely" but rather "less likely" - and also remove my uncut colts from the presence of fillies or mares before those colts are 9 months of age...

Terry Waechter lady in waiting
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos Thank you for the reminder about mixing colts and fillies....My 2008 foal crop are still together in the field. I was planning to separate them at the end of February as I expect cycling to begin around then. Just to be safe I will take the 08 fillies out of the field now....that just leaves adult mares. The colts will be going to their new homes by end of March.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US