SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New here with a few q's...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » New here with a few q's... « Previous Next »

Andrea Merkt
Neonate
Username: Savedbygrace

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have a 2 yr old Hackney stallion. My first q is.. can he be out in the pasture with his breeding partner permanently? And he only has 1 small testicle,should I have the vet see him or wait until he is 3? He is covering the mare he is out with,and semen does leak out after the dirty deed. My other question is I have a new Mustang gelding that is mounting my 26 yr old mare, what's the deal with him?

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Andrea I personally wouldnt leave the stallion in permanently bc some stallions will attack colt foals and as for the gelding how old is he and when was he gelded?

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh and btw about the testicle thing i would have the vet check as my 1 1/2 month old colt's testicles have already descended (both of them)

Andrea Merkt
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! A vet told me I could keep them 2gether but the mare may develope an infection if he doesn't leave her alone (which he does) He is really a sweet guy! I have no idea if my little pony mare is pregn. cause of the testicle thing. I think I will heed the advise. As far as my Mustang goes I just got him and the dude said he was gelded at 3 or 4. I think he is 5 now. I have never seen this. My other gelding acts like a stallion now "protecting his mares" from this new mustang. But the mustang just won't let me catch him now. He got out of his halter and now wont let me get near with a leadrope. The guy never did anything with him. Any advise on how 2 catch this stubborn guy besides trying to get him with grain and treats? Thnx sooo much!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 842
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andrea,if possible, start feedimg him in a round pen, and trap him in there....i guess any old pen will do.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can he be out in the pasture with his breeding partner permanently?

While you can do this, it is important to bear in mind that it increases (dramatically) the risk of injury to stallion, mare and foal. It also may cause problems for estimating likely foaling period, as one may not be aware of when the mare was last bred.

1 small testicle, should I have the vet see him or wait until he is 3?

While testicles can descend as late as their 6th year, the position of the testicle will predict likelihood of descent or not of the second testicle - there's an article about crytorchidism in our article section that you might want to review.

As the possibility that he is a cryptorchid obviously exists, it raises the question as to whether you should be breeding him. Although cryptorchidism has not been either proven nor disproven to be hereditary in the equine, it has been shown to be so in other species, and consequently it is generally agreed that it is better not to run the possible risk of passing it on by breeding a cryptorchid stallion (colt) until research has demonstrated that it is not hereditary.

I have a new Mustang gelding that is mounting my 26 yr old mare, what's the deal with him?

Some geldings will still breed mares. Simply because he has no testicles doesn't mean he can't get an erection and breed a mare. That's why it's generally considered a bad idea to keep geldings and broodmares together - especially if the gelding is known to breed mares (risk of transference of infection and injury is increased).

Andrea Merkt
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I have no other way of keeping this gelding serperate so I guess I will have to keep my eye on that mare. As far as catching him in a round pen its on the other side of the farm,he is in a large pasture.I guess I will have to just get 'em to trust me. Thanks again! and have a blessed day.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eww an other person with a mustang. good luck a 5 year old that hasnt been handled!! mines 9 and been handled for years if she get it in her brain, there is no stoping her. that the greatest and worst thing about mustangs!!! once he trust you, you will be his whole life, and he will lay his life down for you! thats how there herds run in the wild. its build in to them so mcuh more then domestic horses. They bond for life, domestic bond for now

i hate to sound cruel but you will have to work him like you would in a round pen in the whole pasture!!! grab a 4 wheeler and a lightly run him when ever hes away from the gate, give him as much rest as he would like at the gate ( or even to start with when hes on that cornor of the pasture) and keep him LIGHTLY moving anytime hes away from it eventually he will like the gate when your around!!! this micht take a few days or weeks depending on the horse. You could then set up your round pen by the gate and and trap him! they are suckers for food but learn much faster then most horses, youll only get that chance to trap him once!!!

GOOD LUCK

if you know a good roper you might get some one to rope him to!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US