SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Looking for a Barrell Racing Stallion in Ontario, Canada..anyone know of a go...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Looking for a Barrell Racing Stallion in Ontario, Canada..anyone know of a good one? « Previous Next »

Sally Kobow
Neonate
Username: Sallyanne

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in South/western Ontario, and I am going to breed my grandaughter's quarter horse this coming winter.. she is training to barrell race, and my objective is to get her a good horse she will be able to raise from birth, bond totally with, and train on when it is old enough. Her quarter horse she has now is definately a great horse to train on, but she wont have the agility or speed to do barrels when Julianna is also old enough and trained enough to go full out..

Anyone know of a good stallion in my general area that barrel races successfully??

Thanks

Sally

Baraaks_Storm
Neonate
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know of any stallions up there but if you coem across a few look at pedigree for barrel stats, look at their disposition, build, and feet!! I'm a barrel racer and although I breed Arabians for it now I used to be more into Quarter horses.

If you don't have a good hoof you don't have a horse for anything. People often ignore looking at a prospects hooves and if he has problems he can pass it to the foal.

I say pedigree because although plenty of grade horses run very well in barrels if your looking a lot of top barrel horses have it in their pedigree. You could also look for racing lines (agility and speed) and now days people are looking for Reining horses to cross breed (agility, speed, and mind) barrel + barrel dosn't always = barrel. I have a great barrel horse now that is out of a Halter Champion sire and a Racing dam- she has the build of the halter with a great mind, but she has her dams speed.

Hope this helps and look up www.barrelhorsenews.com they might have a stallion advertisment.

Sally Kobow
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the info.. we are breeding her in early winter 2009.. do you think standard bred or thoroughbred as a race horse.. I certainly could get a good standardbred stallion.. but not sure if that would be best or a good barrel stallion??

I really love this site.. its amazing!

Sally

Baraaks_Storm
Neonate
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You never know, but I was thinking thoroughbred when I said racing.

I've seen some odd crosses that made wonderful barrel horses. A good friend of mine had a 13.2hh Paso/ Quater cross that was a 2D horse. Then again my arab/morgan mare has take me to Youth World once, and has qualified me for it once more and twice for Open World. So you never know, but the majority is Quarter Horses or Quarter/Thoroughbred.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how old is your daughter? how big is the mare? my sister is 14yearsold 170lbs rides a 900 to 1000 lb morgan quater. you would be serprised how fast they can run when they feel confortable with the rider. do you run barrels to?

ya know the best crosses ive found come from the thoughbreed stock crossed to cow horses. you need the speed but the brain of a cow horse.

our fastes is a sir quincy dan mare (this is my stud out of the same line http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ima+litttle+rusty)

if you look hes got a few racers up there and a few show horses and lots of cow. i love the cow crosses becuase you get a thought process they put into it. she will even count her steps and turn if there is no barrel cuz she knows what shes supose to do...... this line is very layed back and anyone can ride. My studs first ride was bareback with a halter at 3 after he'd bread all summer at 2. you get him going and hes so fast but so leavel headed. you need that most of all for a kid.

Most people wont take there stallions to do this cuz they get to wound up and cant show or cut with them, they want to run to much. so if you find a horse that you like, ask the owner for its name then find a stallion thats close. but baraaks right some times crosses are they way to go. We got a mustang thats almost as fast as this mare. so we bred her to my stud and i hope that this will be my ultamate cross. i love to see the arabs run, and they are fast and intelegent as well, ive seen them put to much thought in to it!!! hehehe

im up here in nothern idaho so cant help to much but do you go to any kind of 4h shows or anything. find a local saddle club, there is allways at least one person thats got a stud they use to make barrel horses.

Sally Kobow
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, I dont barrel race, in fact dont ride at all anymore due to injuries ( car not horse) my grandaughter is only 11 but is 5'4" tall and bout 108 lbs.. she has a great quarter horse now, but wont be any good for th barrels as she starts to pick up speed.. I think a thoroughbred is a good idea, gonna start looking there..

Keep you posted..

Sally

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

leggs are not allways the awnser, you can have a horse whos awsome on a strait race with long legs but cant get up to full stride (speed) fast enuff inbetween obsticals. I love crosses for it but not full thoughbreds, to much leg! you want high hocks and about 14 to 16 hands a real sloping sholder and big rearend!

good luck show us pics on your prospects!

im 5'8" about 150 ride a 1000lb 14h mustang cross, and a 15h 900lb paint. both carry my weight and size just fine

(Message edited by newyearsbaby05 on August 21, 2008)

Dee Jay
Neonate
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sally:

Check the website for the Ontario Paint Horse Association and their president, email to see if he knows of any good barrel racing stallions, or you can check the stallion link on the OPHC and EOPHC as well as the APHQ sites, all not too far from your location.

I have a stallion, but hes a reining bred. We havent tried him on cows yet or barrels as he is only 3.

Im not sure if you are looking for a paint stallion, or have anything in particular in mind, but you can start there and see where that gets you.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US