SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Will a stallion cover a mare that is already pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Will a stallion cover a mare that is already pregnant? « Previous Next »

Lisa wilson
Neonate
Username: Lisaw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! Let me tell you my story...In July of 2004 I took my paint mare to a neighbors house and put her in the pasture with his stud horse. (Yes..I asked first!) As my mare never shows signs of being in heat I wasn't sure if she was ready or not. (It's always a guessing game with her) My neighbor assured my that the close proximity of the stallion would bring her in. The stud chased her aggressively and she kicked at him a lot but he finally caught her and covered her (though in my opinion i don't think he finished the job if you get my meaning) We left them together for three days and he removed my mare and put her in another pasture. My neighbor was letting me board her so I left her there until September, at which time the stallion tore his fence down, jumped my mare's fence, and covered her again. She was quite agreeable to it this time, no running and kicking. So I guess my question is would the stallion have covered her if she got pregnant in July? I'm anxious for the answer because I have her home now and she is pregnant. I just don't know when to start the foal watch. Is she due this month or in August? The suspense is killing me! Thanks

J.R.Hamilton
Nursing Foal
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling the stallion was rather intent on covering her regardless if she was in heat the first time or not( normal practise for stallion owner to pasture breed with no teasing to see if mare ios receptive????and not watch to confirm breeding?? ) ..... if stallion "bred her" 1st time .. he should have withdrawn , have been "belled out" and perhaps dripping trhe last the the ejaculate.
I think if he later tore down the fence and bred her again and she was very agreeable, chances are she was covered properly then and you may have to recalculate to start at JUly ; normal pratice is from date of ovulation count 15 days ,, scan and you should see pregnant vessicle ..at 25 days confirm with heatbeat.....any ultasound after 55 days may not work as vessicle slips over the pelvic ridge and may go undetected... alittle late for that at this time...
My rule of thumb... from date last bred : 11 months plus 7 days for pregancy or close to it.So calculate approximately when she was bred in JULY and start watching anyway.

Lisa wilson
Neonate
Username: Lisaw

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for replying to my post. My neighbor knows very little about actually breeding horses (he was a trick rider back in the 70's) so I did most of the paying attention. The horses were already friends because my neighbor and I ride together, so she was friendly when teased, but she never shows signs of heat. (behavior wise or physically)(yes, I know, it's strange and I do know what to look for)so we just put them together and watched for about an hour while they "courted". It was a very informal process.
If I calculate the July date she should have had the foal by now so I guess the question is already answered. I can feel the baby kick but so far no bagging up. Of course this mare is full of surprises....four years ago she got out of her pasture for two hours. We looked everywhere and she turned up at home on her own. 11 months later she dropped a beautiful palomino filly with no warning and no problems.
Thanks again for your help!! Here's to an August 14th baby!

Shannon Smith
Neonate
Username: Whisper05

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares will let a stallion breed them if they are already bred, I had an old Appaloosa mare that I kept with my stallion for years that would let him breed her over and over again when she was obviously in foal,but in this case I would say the mare didnt get bred the first time and the stallion was just overly excited about having a mare in his paddock,the second time was the charm.

lisa murray
Neonate
Username: Lmurray

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a bred mare 2 months ago due in june. She has been tearing up to the fence line every time we take our stud out to breed someone else & on friday we saw her get mounted & accept my son's pony 'gelding'! We brought her in & teased with the stallion after watching her squat & pee & wink & sure enough he tried to breed her too! We palpated her and think we feel a hoof so are giving it another month before we panic.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US