SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion's first time

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Stallion's first time « Previous Next »

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we bred Reggie to Tali tonight and it went VERY well! I'm soooooo proud of my boy. It was his very first time and he walked very nicely up to Tali talking the whole way. He proceded to sniff her, nudge her side and then very gently mounted her. He was such a gentleman!!!

My only question is he seemed to be just a little too short and although Tali was squatting he seemed to be only entering her half way. I believe he did ejaculate (my husband said he did, I couldn't see since I was holding Tali)but since he was only partly in her I doubt his penis was up against her cervix.

I know the routine is to breed every other day but would you do it again tomorrow and try to get a better cover or do you think this was sufficent and just tease her in 2 days with possibly breeding her then?

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boy was to short to but he got the job done! we set her a about 6 inches lower then him and he Seem to get him alot closer! try a little ditch ever inch counts :-) If you have a routine you should stick to it. It will help him learn what is proceedure but at the same time he will get better experience for later breeding to mares that may not be so nice as tali....but procedure is good for him.... tough call...

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 537
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this problem as well....(in miniature) My 24" stallion can reach the 30" mares, but not "all the way". I recently started putting him in the feed room at breeding time *(It has an elevated floor)....and then bringing the mares to him, and backing them up to the feed room door! He caught on really fast, and loves the idea of "reaching fully"...only problem is, everytime I go to feed, he runs in the feed room and grunts, whinnies and gets erect! (He's young, he doesn't know any better) HAHA!!!
Tracy, I believe I'd wait it out...I know you're anxious to make sure she's rebred, and it can be hard. But, spend today trying to make the perfect "reaching" scenario, and give him another chance tomorrow....that's what I would do if it were me. I am so glad his leg is doing well enough to breed her....things could have been much worse there! Let us know how it goes!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The average mare's vagina is about 8-12" long. The average stallion's penis is 18-24" long.

You do the math... :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy,

Glad to hear that Reggie did so well for his first time. Sounds like you have laid the groundwork for a well behaved stud, since you are breeding on a foal heat I personally would not breed again today, a lot of "trauma" (not exactly the right word but..) to her reproductive tract....what you do now will lay that ground work for him in his future too and you don't want to rush...Good luck, can't wait till the preg check! Doing the fertility dance for ya!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Jos! I guess we did just fine then! Thanks for everyone's advice and I will wait until tomorrow to see if she's still in heat.

Jan, that was a concern of mine too, I want to make sure I don't create more problems. Hey, if she doesn't conceive we'll try again next cycle and at least Reggie is getting good experiences :-)

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy congratulations to you and Reggie! what did you do with little Flash while mom was busy?

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana, we left Flash in the stall and did the deed right there in the aisleway of the barn!

We bred them again last night and had a much better cover. I had a friend there that was able to put a halter on Flash and hold him in front of Tali so they could still be close but not in the way. We moved her outside of the barn and put her on a spot that was about 4-6 inches lower and it worked perfect. He was able to get in all the way, he definitely ejaculated (lots of flagging too!)so hopefully we got her! I'll tease her again on Saturday and keep your fingers crossed she'll no longer be in heat :-)

Reggie was still the perfect gentleman, he likes to wait a couple of minutes before mounting. Much better than a crazy stallion running at the mare!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy~Excellent news! Sounds like Reggie won't mind his new job at all :-) HEE HEE!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good going Reggie! I'm very happy for you Tracy! I hope she takes first time. Lucky you to have your own stallion, very convient and inexpensive too.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tali is still in heat so we'll be breeding them again today. GRRRRRR, I know only 3 covers isn't that bad but I hope she's not having some weird heat cycle.

Marilyn, I bred my other mare a few times and had her down with the stallion. I have to say this is very nice not having to worry about my mare or trailering her back and forth. Now if we can just get her pregnant!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 551
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, Tali is in her foal heat, isn't she? Flash isn't very old yet. It's not really uncommon for a mare not to catch on foal heat. Out of my 6 mares, only one of them takes during foal heat....all of the others are just hopefuls...and I have yet to have any of them take, except her. So, don't get discouraged if she waits the other 21 days or so...and you're right, nothing compares to owning your own stallion, and not sending the girls away! (especially when you have 6 of them! LOL)

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, she's in her foal heat and I know it's not uncommon to not conceive :-) My other mare got pregnant every time on her foal heat so I've been hoping but if Tali doesn't I won't freak out! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US