SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

EVA vaccine

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » EVA vaccine « Previous Next »

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wanting to know if there is a good place to buy a vacine for one horse? i found a hole vial for $200 but it didnt say dosage of anything on the site. Anyone?

I didnt relize that we had so many cases hear in the US! anyone know who the horses were that got it in idaho or a way for me to look it up?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you will find that the price you have is for a box of 10 vials (i.e. enough to vaccinate 10 animals). If you can find some friends who also want to vaccinate, then maybe you can get your vet to split the case up between you all.

Nobody (or horse) "got it into Idaho"... EVA was first accurately identified in the USA over 50 years ago. It's not a new disease - it in fact is believed to have been around for 100+ years, so you can be pretty sure that it's been in (and out) of Idaho (and other States) on a regular basis for some time! It's just that it's not until there's an outbreak that everyone suddenly wakes up and starts paying attention to it! :-(

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
Truth or myth...
I was advised that if was also important to have documentation of a current negative EVA test prior to vaccinating.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is recommended that there be paperwork showing a negative test in particular for stallions. With mares and geldings it is less important as they cannot perpetually harbour and shed the virus like a stallion can. If the initial test for a stallion shows an antibody titre >1:4 then a virus isolation test of the semen is recommended to confirm that he is merely seropositive, not semen positive. An animal may be seropositive as a result of prior exposure to the virus from either an active case of the disease, or from the vaccine.

There is more information about this in the article about EVA on this web site (follow the link).

corina gabel
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i watched your powerpoint persentaion and it talked about reported cases and idaho was one of the states i was wondering if you know where abouts. I have never even heard of it untell i started on this site. Coggins is the only thing that we have ever been worried about.

i thought $200 was a bit pricey for one vaccine. Does anyone know of a place to buy one? my vet wouldnt even buy it if we had 10 peoples to go in on it... we do all of our our shots.

(Message edited by newyearsbaby05 on June 10, 2008)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is pointless finger-pointing in a backward-looking manner, but important to be pro-active to prevent a possible future outbreak. Vaccination is a good - but partial - first step.

Arvac™ is - in many if not all States - a prescription-only item, so no matter the cost, you will probably need to have a veterinarian involved somewhere in the "loop". Unless you can find a veterinarian who is willing to sell a single dose, you will have to buy a case. Many vets are (not unreasonably) unwilling to order the vaccine unless they have a guaranteed sale for all doses. Your best bet therefore probably remains getting enough people together to purchase a case through a veterinarian.

Note that an individual not a veterinarian buying a case and then dispensing to other persons may be an illegal act - dispensing a restricted drug - dependent upon the status of the vaccine in that State.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks my vet sucks and they wont do anything for anyone unless they have to the only other one is about a hour away....

I was just wondering if we have come in contact with any one from a certain place that could have had it!! no big deal!!!

Second question is there a vaccine for Equine Infectious Anemia. We do a 6 way like fluvac and then 5 way on the prego girls. I read that there is no current vaccine just a test, is this true? and is it spred only buy blood to blood like mosquitos or can it be sexual as well?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVA may possibly be found anywhere. It does not necessarily manifest symptoms when in the acute (infectious) stage, so you could be at a horse show or trail ride standing right next to a perfectly healthy-looking horse that is in the process of infecting your horse if you haven't vaccinated (and kept current).

There is no vaccine against EIA. It is the same family as HIV (a lentivirus), and in fact has received research funding in recent years because of that affiliation. While it has not been proven to be sexually transmissible, nor has it been disproven, so one should consider the possibility of sexual transmission the exist.

Dee Jay
Neonate
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos:

My stallion was tested for EVA as I had him sold to a performance ranch in Oklahoma. I live in Canada. EVA negative testing was one of the requirements to get him into this state ( or so she said anyway).

I had him tested and he was negative. Should I now vaccinate him? The oklahoma client backed out on the deal, but I have resold him into the states again. WOuld it be best to vaccinate him for EVA, or just leave it and let the new owner do that when he gets there.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the horse is sold, you shouldn't do anything without consulting with the new owner! :-)

We vaccinate all our stallions. Period.

The only "hole" you have in the plan to vaccinate your horse (other than not owning him) is that you have not (presumably) kept him in quarantine since he had blood drawn for the test. The protocol demands either quarantine after drawing blood and before vaccination, or immediate vaccination, or testing again after receiving a negative result and vaccinating immediately. The problem is that there was a window of opportunity for the horse to have contacted an infective horse from the time that he was tested until now (or when he is to be vaccinated), and this means that a vet or you cannot honestly say that he was definitely negative at the time of vaccination.

The only other point to consider is that there are a handful - 4 I think - of minor countries that will not accept a stallion or semen from him after he has been vaccinated. These are not major horse-trading partners, so it will be unlikely to present a problem, but you do need to be aware of that fact. It certainly has not stopped us from vaccinating, and shouldn't most people.

To the best of my knowledge, OK does not require testing prior to importation (and I live there!) but as part of a pre-purchase examination of a stallion, it's certainly a good idea. There's a little information at the OK AF&F page.

Dee Jay
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oklahoma buyer backed out on the purchase when the sale of her own stallion fell through. I now have him sold to Australia, and am hesitant to do anything that might mess that up. He is headed for Kentucky in March (I have some breedings sold to him between Feb and end of March,) for pre-quarantine and then on to AUstralia for post quarantine.

THe Oklahoma purchaser said that there were restictions on getting a horse into the state that wasnt negative for EVA, so I had him tested.

He lives full time at his trainers ranch, and is turned out on his own, though he is in a barn with client horses so there is always a possibility of infection.

She also said that she didnt want him vaccinated for EVA as it could give a false positive reading on testing again, so I didnt have him vaccinated.

Im not about to vaccinate him for anything as he will be leaving Canada end of March and his current vaccination regimin wouldnt require re-vaccinations until May, though he may need something updated (coggins etc) with his Health Export Paperwork to get into the USA from Canada in March

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold that horse!

Before shipping him to Kentucky for export from there, absolutely confirm that there won't be an issue about exporting from either Kentucky or the USA, as we are currently in the middle of a CEM outbreak - go to our front page for the current details - and that could potentially shut down export (import) from the US. If that happened after your horse had been sent to the US, then you'd have a horse down here that couldn't be exported to Australia, and would need to go into quarantine to be returned to Canada!!

Follow the updates carefully, and talk to AQIS, USDA-Aphis and CFIA about it!

Dee Jay
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the tip. I will read the info and inform all parties involved. I hadnt heard of any outbreaks and we just shipped frozen semen to Kentucky with no problems, whether this is an unrelated event or not im not sure at this point.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There wouldn't be any issue shipping semen or a horse into Kentucky, the problem would be when shipping out of Kentucky or possibly the USA. Right now there are a few countries that have put active shipments out of the US "on hold", but hopefully they will get sorted out. The long-term though may be negatively affected. Just how fast it all gets tracked and cleared will be the telling point. If it doesn't get under control, or the US loses CEM-free status, you would probably be better shipping directly from Canada.

Dee Jay
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked with our Fed Vet here. We are CEM free country. I have checked with AQIS which tells me most horses ship from USA. I will have to recheck with my Fed Vet to see if they can do the paperwork and ship from Canada, but I seem to remember that Canada has no health certificate available to us for export to Australia, or there was some reason why they said he would have to ship through the US.

Maybe we should be looking at shipping him to another state than KEntucky for pre-quarantine? unless the whole USA is going to be put on restriction.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't look as though there's a problem exporting directly from Canada: follow this link.

It does appear as though you will be OK for the moment to export from the USA (see here). It is interesting to note however that the Canadian requirements read:

"For the 60 days immediately prior to export the horse was continuously resident and free of quarantine restriction in a part of Canada in which:

no case of African horse sickness, contagious equine metritis, dourine, glanders, VEE, EEE, WEE or vesicular stomatitis has occurred during the past two years
"

while the US regulations now read:

"So far as can be determined, for the 60 days immediately prior to export the horse was continuously resident in the United States or Canada in premises where no case of the following diseases or any other notifiable disease of equines have occurred during the previous three months:

...contagious equine metritis
"

I am unsure if or when the wording changed from "part of [the country]" to "premises", but it apparently will allow export from the US even if there is CEM present in the country.

I do know that there were shipments delayed to Argentina and Brazil with the news of the CEM outbreak, and that there was discussion about getting the wording changed from "country free of CEM" to "premises free of CEM", so it may be that there was a change in importer regulations at that point (or at least some changed).

I would certainly keep my eye on it though, and possibly look closer at export directly from Canada. As I said earlier, it would really be miserable if the regulations all changed when the horse was already in the USA, and you couldn't even get him home! :-(

Dee Jay
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Jos

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US