SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

AnY ADVICE JOS?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » AnY ADVICE JOS? « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I have a mini stallion who has just come 2. He is very tiny (24.5" tall) and has never had any sign of a testicle. I just moved to a new town, and my first veterinary experience was a bad one from what I'd call a shoddy vet. I asked her to look at my stallion, to examine what she thought the problem was...she felt around, said, "he's not even inguinal...he'll never drop." I quickly put him up for sale as a pet, then this morning he was laying down, and I clearly saw two testicles in his scrotum (while laying down)....what are the possibilities here? And how is that possible? Is it possible they've dropped below the ring, but for some reason, aren't in the scrotum? I'm very confused. I have an appointment for next friday with a highly recommended repro vet, but wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your new repro. vet will be able to answer your questions better than we can - after the evaluation! :-)

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you felt him?? lunge him and get him warm then feel around i know gross but you can really see my studs when hes warm or laying down, but when its cold or even the thought of a chilly breeze he hangs on to them things like they will freeze and fall off

vet is allways good but if you can find them your self.... much cheaper.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina, I have never felt anything similar to a testicle on him! He is very tiny, and the space between his legs isn't much...also, he doesn't like being touched there much. So it is a challenge on all fronts.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know much about minis but I do know vets. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Vets are only human and just because they mis-judged doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad vet.

From what I've gathered about minis is that they are really a specialty sort of thing. While some of the "horse rule" apply, not all do and the little guys are different in some aspects of care (I do know enough about them to know you don't feed them as much, although they want you too!!! :-)
I wonder if some vets specialize in just minis?

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you are going to keep him a stud... get to feeling around down there treat him them feel again, give him a treat, you can get them little buggers to do anything for a good treat you wouldnt want one that wont let you mess with him, none of them really "like" it a part of life. AT 2 YEARS OLD he could just have one tiny one and there hasnt droped yet!!! they are so tiny little things that dont jump and cut him if you dont want to give him some time!! he could just be a late bloomer!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG...so the vet said he's not even inguinal, he'll never drop, get rid of him! I go down to the barn, the day after putting him on the sale board, and BOOM! 2 SWINGING TESTICLES!!!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.....PLAIN AS DAY THERE THEY ARE

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOT PICTURES, I'D PUT THAT PICTURE IN A FANCY FRAME WITH AN ENGRAVED BRASS PLATE ON.
NOW SEE HOW HELPFUL THIS BOARD IS

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I'm a little scared to ask...LOL...but are you speaking of pictures of his testicles!?!
hahaha! That would be a conversation piece!
And now my tiny stallion has a story behind him. (literally) ha!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, Heather
I havent had any experienced people comment. I would aske you two, has your mares had tinges of blood and a crust like on the edges of the Vulva? I've posted in two places no one has commented it's been such a long span between her foals that I've fogotten if this is sign of the mucus plug??? I have a call into my Vet and My Trainer

ANY INFO would be APPRECIATED!!

L

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LAURIE,I THINK TIM ANSWERED YOU ON THE OTHER POST,THE MUCUS PLUG IS MORE PINK AND KIND OF LOOKS LIKE MELTED PEANUT BUTTER,I WILL PUT A PICTURE OF THE ONE I GOT FROM MY MARE BEFORE SHE FOALED.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lAURIE, I have had mares with crusty bloody looking stuff around the vulva near due date, and never any big deal.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane :-) Thanks!! As well as all that answered!

I just got off the phone with my VET(She is awesome answeres within 10-20 minutes)She is not concerned as Diane stated no prior problems and she's full term. What that brownish/bloody crust is a process of the mucus plug, yes its that whitish/B>N color accompanied with that comes that tinge of blood (SOMETIMES), it's the cervix opening up getting ready for the birth. As we speak I think SPRING is in LABOR! OR NOT could be baby postioning, although I feel she's started labor will give you updates as the process continues..

Tim Thanks...Better to be safe!

JUDY_Thanks for being so helpful with the picture

PS-I really thought I had it together when it comes to my Mare giving birth I was mistaken, Let me just say this to everyone waiting..

One thinks of every senario, has read up and is well informed, has had other foals. It didn't matter, today I was frantic I needed to talk to someone. So I could get the correct answers. I felt a little scared this is MY LIFE, MY LOVE. I have had her 20 years she is everything to me I am scared! So meditate inhale, exhale get yourself together before you go back out to your mare. SHE depends on you, for your determination and confidence that she doesn't have to worry about the other issues, just giving you back a healthy foal!

I'm sorry if I'm rambling I just wanted to let those that are still waiting know that no one can prepare you for those little things that we don't expect! Just RELAX BREATHE!!!! RECOMPOSE! THEN GO HELP YOUR LOVE OF YOUR LIFE AS I"M DOING NOW!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree Laurie, you are doing fantastic, when you don't know something, you ask. Your mare will be just fine, and so will you. You are going to have an awesome foal!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, sure, wouldn't that be a big conversation topic, the picture of the Crown Jewels at the next Christmas Party, I can see it now. I was just joking, how many times have you checked him today to make sure they are still there? I'd have a pretty good back ache if he was my colt.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha! heather you're too funny...but you're right...I've been looking at them several times...my husband thinks I'm a total wack job! And my 15 yr old son doesn't want to hear any more about it! LOL

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US