SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ok i would like some thoughts on my listing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Ok i would like some thoughts on my listing « Previous Next »

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok im not advertising because there is no way my babys thingy will reach anyone on this board !!!
my hubby a not so horsy guy doesnt help much!
but i would like some honest thoughts on the listing that i have created, by hand,for my stallion. The full body pictures is him 2 year old spring pic and i plan on get new ones this year when it gets warm but its all i had....
the creds are only for the internet. the picture will be what gets printed and hung up everywhere, it will a 8 x 11 sheet of paper

http://imalitttlerusty.tripod.com/

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me start out by saying I think this stallion is a very nice looking stallion. I love his coloring and his face is very nice looking.

I hope you don't mind if I'm honest about the website, I think that's what you're asking for. I am not a website coordinator or have I ever done a website, so I'm no expert, that's for sure, so take what I'm about to say with that in mind.

I think the headshot of him is very nice, I like the picture of him from behind also, but I don't care for the large one of him eating grass. One reason is, it isn't a very flattering picture of him. It makes him look distorted, with the head looking too big for his body. The picture looks like you have a picture pasted onto another backround picture. I would take a picture of him standing with a halter or bridle on and not eating.

I take horrible pictures of horses because of the distortion. There is an art to taking pictures of horses and I haven't learned how to do it. So I can't give you suggestions because I'm no good at it at all.

The credentials are hard to read and rather monotonous looking. I think if you did some separation and add some color, it would add more interest.

I hope you take this the way it was intended. I don't mean to be mean or harsh. I'm just giving you my honest opinion.

I think the top part of the ad is very good. I hope this helps.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina, just a couple of things.
1) Don't use the word "just" in the "my dam" section...you're devaluing your own ad.
Try: My dam is a beautiful pleasure horse...or whatever fits for her....
2) I think at $200 stud fee, you're really underselling yourself. Even if your horse doesn't have show points. In order for your advertising to be successful, you need to value his service more appropriately...sounds strange, but people won't look at something that's priced too low...for fear there may be something wrong with it.
3) run spell check on your ad....misspells on advertisements are one of my pet peeves (not that it bothers everyone) but I believe that many people feel as I do. If I see an ad for something that has spelling and grammatical errors, it makes me feel as if the person who wrote them is unthorough, unorganized, and lacks pride in what they do...it typically leaves a poor impression about your "business sense"

I hope i didn't pick it apart too badly, it's just my advise, and you asked for it! haha! I've done alot in the advertising world, and know my way around it pretty well.
What I would do is advertise him heavily online! There are many great sites for breeders! I'd also get some pics of him with his head up. Do you have any other pics of him? Do you have a website? I could easily help you get his name out there with online advertising, if you'd like!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Corina, anyone can take awesome photos if you've got the right ideas. Get some photos of him in action, arched neck, high feet, flagged tail....people like that. An easy way to do this is to put him in a round pen (or any old pen sizeable enough for him to move around, but not so big he can run away) Get some kind of foreign thing to him and put it in the pen with him. For most of my horses, a huge playball from Walmart works...if it's a windy day, tie a plastic bag to the fence! Get down on squatting level and take photos of him from that angle. If he grows tired of the ball, and you don't have the shot, just kick it up against the fence, and there's your second chance. If you've got a camera you can put on continuous shot...snap away...the more photos you take, the more likely you are to get a few good ones. Photograph on days that compliment your horses color....I have a blue roan that looks really blue when photographed on a grey cloudy day! Your boy looks awesome with the bright blue sky behind him, but I agree with Marilyn, and think superimposed is a bad idea.
Sorry, I am going on and on...just trying to think of ways to help you.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina,
He is a very lovely stallion. I agree with Marilyn though. The picture of him eating doesn't do him justice. And it does make it seem as though his head is to big. I am an amatuar photographer and let me just say that it can be hard at times to get them just right. Try to get him to stand as square as possible with his head in a flattering postition. To high and he will look wild to low and he could look drugged. Have someone stand where you want him to look and make noise that will get his attention so his ears are forward.
Like Marilyn said I am not trying to be critical. Good Luck

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 648
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana makes some good points too. I love action shots. It really can show off a stallion.

Also I hadn't said anything but the $200 stud fee would probably make me look elsewhere. If you don't feel you can charge a lot without a show record even bringing it up to the $350-$450 range will say more for him. The more professional the ad sounds and looks the more appealing your stud will be to potential customers.
Also you could say more about him. Loud colored Sorrel Tovero, or tobiano as I don't know how he is registered, 15 hands etc. When I look at ads I really like to know there height and weight. Helps me know if they are well built.
And this is somewhat of a different subject but is he tested for OLWS. If so and he is negitave put that on there. It is an asset. If not I would suggest doing it as he has overos in his pedigree.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina: In addition to the stud charge issue that several people make valid points about...you may want to add something like "consideration given to outstanding brood mares" which I have used in the past, when trying to promote a new stallion who doesn't have much on the ground yet to show is potential. It flatters the mare owners (and we all loved to be flattered) plus it gives the "looker" a clue that you would be willing to breed for less if it is a nice mare that will promote your stallions prodigy. Just another thought because there are people out there who have outstanding mares/bloodlines but with the horse market in turmoil, are not willing to put out big stud fees plus all the money involved with owning a brood mare that they may only get out of the foal what they put into it. There are times as a mare owner that I have to ask myself...is it worth the wear & tear on my mare and the risk to loosing both mare/foal for a higher dollar stud fee???

I've known many great stallions who were champion show horses or race horses who didn't throw anything that ever compared to the actual stallion's performance. I've also known little known and not promoted stallions who may not have been much in the life throw some outstanding babies when bred to mares of choice.

Just some thoughts.

The great thing about horse people is that we are all so versatile and what I may find attractive in a horse may not be the next person's cup of tea. I personally don't pay attention to stud fees (unless they are of course thousands of dollars), I look more at the qualities of the foal I would get from a stallion and mare combination.

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breeding outside mares is way to much trouble for $200, especially if it is live cover and a live foal guarantee. People will bring a mare to your farm not knowing where she is in her heat cycle then complain about having to pay mare care for so many days. Make sure they have a culture done on the mare before they bring her over. You will want to see the results in writting from the vet/lab, don't take their word for it, no exceptions.
What ever you charge you need to get the money for the stud fee and have them sign a contract when or before they drop the mare off.

Go to websites that stand qh and paint stallions and read their contracts.

We just had a problem with a mare owner, the contract states you have 2 breeding seasons to get your mare in foal. After that the contract is voided. Well this mare owner didn't get the mare in foal (shipped semen and the semen was great)within the 2 breeding seasons, she sold another mare to a lady and include the stud service (which was void) in the sale without asking the stallion owner. The stallion owner honored the breeding for $100 booking fee and didn't charge a collection fee. His stud fee is usually $650.

You need to hope for the best but plan for the worst. I wish you luck, be safe.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure they have a culture done on the mare before they bring her over.

Culture and cytology... (follow the link for details).

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina: As a fellow stud owner and promoter with a flier out there on the internet and also in the Paint Horse Journal as well as all the Paint Horse Clubs and Associations within 6 hours of me, I think I can offer a few ideas to make your flier

Firstly, hes a nice looking stud and at first glance I also like your flier. The colors are pleasing to the eye and the amount of white on your boy catches the interest of anyone looking fora loudly colored stud.

His pictures though are not as good as they could be. With all the stallions out there that are being promoted, you are competing with alot of others. Most people that have fliers done of their studs are done by professionals, so you are competing with professional set up and pictures of studs in their sunday finest clothing - be it a fancy jeweled and silver show halter or whatever.

You need to get some pictures of him standing at attention, in full trot, whatever you need to do to get the kind of pictures that a mare owner is going to say WOW!!

The picture at the bottom of your flier looks photoshopped, two different pictures merged into one at first glance. You need something that has him standing more square, ears forward and looking at you or on profile so that people looking at his stance can see him conformationally.

I had a flier done professionally last fall for the breeding season this year. Two people came with a box full of toys, squeakers, horse sound machines, flags, you name it they had it. The photographer also took most of the pictures while sitting on the ground, which gives the pictures a better angle.

The squeakers are used to get the horses attention - thereby giving you that ears forward interesting looking picture.

I didnt put much pedigree info on my flier, just the most important stuff, also his own awards and trophies and stuff went on there so that mare owners could see what he had accomplished in the last year.

I also have a website, so I had my website address and barn phone number on the flier. Anyone interested in my stallion could go to the website and see more pictures, and link to the breeding contract or the 4 generation pedigree for more information

if you want to see my flier, it is at www.djscoloredcorral.com on the stallion link. You can compare it to yours and see what others on here that have made comments are talking about as far as setup and position and close ups etc.

Deb

corina gabel
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW GUYS THANK YOU!!

I am just a poor farmer so i see the price as something i would pay for a fee of an unproven 3 year old!! but your right i would wonder if its worth it! or if he might be lacking or have have something.... The part about to good mares is great! I think i will up it and try that. i dont want this published on the net, just for you guys becuase i am not capable of have more then one or two mares if i had to at my place. Hillbilly heaven is not just a medifor, we are someplace between hillbilly and white picket fence! i would like to get him started good before i take him full out. he is turing into quite the little barrel horse though this is my main audience right now.

as for pictures i know his head looks big and it really isnt its just how he takes pictures it allways looks big, i think the spot by his eye draws attention there but he got them matching on both sides. These all came from a 5 megpic camera of mine but i have a friend coming to take a bunch with him all puffed up at a mare he looks so much bigger that way. But hes in texas for some dum reason and dont know ehn hes comeing back. Suprisingly these were taken spring last year and hes grown a sence then. now three hes starting to fill out some!! bought time.

I only started riding him 3 weeks ago so i have one first in hand trail with him but thats not much to say for him is it? how would i put an in hand trail ribbon at a rinky dink show... they would only let him into to classes trail and halter, becuase he was a "wild and crazy" (my butt) stallion

as for the back ground i took him out of a really crappy picture! should it be solid background black, white or what? i love the pictures with just the horse.

he is not registered as a stallion yet but he papered Tovero No blood test for LW. I jsut posted in the thread about the LW baby that just died.
http://www.equine-reproduction.com/board/messages/101/31747.html?1209787378
i have to do the blood test and get everything in which is what im working on right now, blood test and what not!

debbie is the background one of his spots?? I have sacked him out so well nothing gets his attention but a preatty girl
we have a mare who wont go into the arena every now and then so one day this big old cowboy comes down with a walmart bag and says hang on tight-ill get her in ( shes seems spooky but shes jsut a ditz) he went shaking this baggy like a mad man and she jsut sighed and glarded at him. all of our horses are like this. unbrellas, 4-wheelers, we ride next to the freeway, heavy machinery and chain saws, even stocked by a mountain lion one time nothing fazes them!! Great trail horses. SO i think i will bring him a girl to sniff!!!

what kind of pictures get the most attention in mare owners???

Rusty stands like a western pleasure horse. very low head set. He does look almost druged at times, but this is his attitude. ears up and sad looking -- he looks strange to me with his had up unless he is corting a mare. would a rare look good or i get him to slide stop in the round pen to?

THANKYOU GUYS AND NO ONE WAS TO MEAN you guys are allways great

so when i get more pics you will help me pic them out right....

(Message edited by newyearsbaby05 on May 03, 2008)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will absolutely help you pic them out, and I think maybe the sliding stop.....get as many as you can!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 656
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could just post the pictures here. I am sure everyone will love to see them. :-)

corina gabel
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am waiting for "my guy" to come back and take pictures, hes of the retired nature and does what ever he wants when ever he wants so eventually he will come home!! it would be so nice just to skrew off all day.....

(Message edited by newyearsbaby05 on May 03, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're on the right track Corina! If he is a true tovero then you will have the risk involved with lethal white. Along with action photos, I would not hesitate to show his calm nature as well. I know when I breed outside of my own stallion, I want something that has a calm nature. I already have one that "walks on air" all the time! Personality is as important as confirmation and ability. Don't be afraid to show him at his calm side.

Anney Daugherty
Nursing Foal
Username: Winsmorefarm

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Corina, Everyone has made some really great points regarding advertising, pics, etc. Here are my thoughts:

Make more that one page - even 2-3 pages is better than one. I believe that it adds to looking professional and as a breeder, I think people will take you more seriously.
Website Page 1 - Home Page (maybe about your farm and or have one pic of your stallion).
Website Page 2 - Stallion Page (Include conformation pic, some action pics). Pedigree should be larger, and if you can get pics of some of the horses in his pedigree, especially if they are well-known and then you can properly highlight about each one's performance and/or why they are great, etc. Regarding your stallion's performance, that he is unshown due to injury - my first question would be is will he be injured forever? I would put that at the end and might list it by year - especially if he will be showing in the future. (i.e. 2008 - No showing due to injury 2009 - Look for him at ...(what ever type of showing that you would like to do with him).
Website Page 3 - Any progeny already born? If not, but there are babies due in 2009 - I would either list the breedings with the mares names (and possibly include any mare info., pedigree, pics, etc.), OR have it say something like - First crop due in 2009, please check back then. This way it looks like he has been bred and if people are interested in what the babies will look like they will know to check back to see what he produces. Regarding the description of your stallion, again I would make it sound more professional, as it sounds more "cutesy". I would definately raise your stud fee. I would put contact info either on the home page of your website or have it on a Page Four, with directions, map, etc..

Flyer:
I think that I'm understanding that the area of the website that has the pics, pedigree, etc. would also be your flyer? If that is correct, here's my thoughts again:

1. Conformation pic, but not quite as large (since he is mostly white, he will stand out), make sure background compliments him -not too dark, busy or unattractive). Possibly include a better action pic - no rear ends and the face pic is nice, but doesn't really add anything for advertising.
2. I would not put that he is available to view anytime - you'd be suprised that some people may take that literally. I might put "Private showings available by appointment only".
3. Contact Info - telephone number, name, URL of your website.
4. If any babies are due, I would include that, as it gets people to check your website for more info.

Anyway, I hope this helps. These are just my opinions. I do have my own website that I have designed, and am in the middle of re-designing and updating (so some of the pages may not work right now), but you're welcome to check out (I don't stand a stallion, but my friends do). Here's mine: www.winsmorefarm.com and my friend's website www.jumpstartfarm.com. Hope this helps!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US