SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

"Manners"

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » "Manners" « Previous Next »

Andrea Barnes
Neonate
Username: Gsagain

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 3 year old stallion. We had issues with him dropping at the last show we went to. Basically permawood. No amount of troting or lunging did a bit of good.
People were wanting me to kick it, whip it, basically abuse him. No way! I won't do that to him. I'll gladly take a lower ribbon.
We ended up trotting the arena with him hanging. He managed to take 2nd and 3rd (two judges), but I know he could have gone up at least one notch had he kept his "manners" in.

How do you teach a Stallion to keep it tucked?
I've practiced with my mares and he's good, but bring other mares around and down it goes. I really don't want to abuse his member. Will he just learn over time? I tried putting vicks rub on his lip, but he does the smell/lip thing and that wouldn't look cool in the ring.
So what to do?
Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are very correct in not wanting to abuse him. Kudos to you for resisting that - keep resisting it.

We always say "ignore the symptom and treat the cause", so if you can figure out specifically what he is looking at that is producing that reaction, turn him the other way. Try backing him up as well - many (most) stallions cannot maintain an erection and back up (something that my wife tells me is due to the fact that males can't do two things at the same time!).

It may indeed just be a matter of putting up with it for the moment, and over time as he matures and becomes a little more selective, he won't do it any more.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
What great advice you always seem to have! I love the statement from your wife!

L

Andrea Barnes
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the shows, the classes all gather at the gate to watch and wait their turn. This includes mares and fillies. Rarely will stallions be there, but my biggest competition is and does just fine around the mare. He's 7 I believe. If Frodo gets 1st or 2nd, we go up for Reserve and Reserve Champ. We've never beat him.

I think this year we have a chance if he can keep it tucked.

I've tried backing him around the whole arena and it doesn't matter. Poor guy. I think of it as a teenage boy in a room with a bunch of naked cheerleaders. He just couldn't help it!

I've spent some extra time with him at the shows in the practice arena. Everytime he started to drop, lunged him until it tucked. He was one tired boy so I couldn't do that before our class. He'd be worn out.

I've had him at home with my two mares standing on each side of him and I'm able to keep his mind on me.

Maybe I'll blindfold him until just before the class

I must say, the abuse to these poor guys is awful. The things I've seen people do and told me to do is animal cruelty plain and simple!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea
I use to show a young paint stallion, that I was also breeding, I'd put a little vicks vabor rub in his nostrils right before we headed to the ring. That way he didn't get a wiff of a mare. I'd also took him to every little show in town (didn't show most of the time), and I'd start the day stand a good distance from the ring and gradually work my way up to the ring. I invest 4 to 6 hours every weekend at whatever kind of show I could fine. Horse shows are like Disney World if you go every weekend it's not all that special and can become quite boring. It is alot of time to invest but not only will your pony be alot calmer and actually listen to you, you might pick up a few stud services from people that don't go to Welsh shows. Your pony is a people magnet, you never know who you are going to meet. On the plus side, you are acting as an ambassador for the welsh breed.

In November I showed 2 coming 2 yr old (large ponies) colts at a pony futurity (a non rated show), they had never been off the farm. I gave them 1/2 a tube each (they weighed about 600 lbs) of Cool & Calm, they behaved wonderfully, stood, trotted, didn't drop or whinney, they haven't behaved so well since. But I had done my homework for months prior to the show.

I'm getting ready to take 2 ponies to a show today just to school.

He is adorable, get him out and about.

Andrea Barnes
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much! I have heard of Vicks. Never got a chance to try it though. I'll keep an eye out for local shows and take him out more often.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather is right about the Vicks, sometimes it will do the trick as it is one more sensory perception that can be blocked HUMANELY. I bet as he matures he will probably get better about it. As showing become "old hat" for him so to speak.

Kudos to you for not abusing him for it. None of those suggestions people at the show were telling you does any good and is what I term "picking" on a stud horse, which I am dead-set against. I think you end up creating more bad habits versus just the one you are trying to solve.

He's a three-year-old stud colt and it sounds like he is indeed the "teenage boy in a room full of cheerleaders". Be thankful that getting a bit of "wood" is the worst that he is doing.

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

umm i tried vicks because we trailer with mares! well now when i put the vicks on he gets excited and cant keep it in!!!!!!!!!!!he assoceates the smell with girls now!

I have found that backing doent work eather he doesnt just hang he prances and whinnys as well, so just pulling his head in away is working great but as for hanging out--Yell NO and "pop the lead rope" this works very rearly so i just pinch him, not real hard but enough to tell it on his lower belly as close to but not on gentals as i can get. ya know the little pinch with jsut a little skin and some finger nail... not abuse but a quick ouchy and he draws it back up fast.
I am hoping that eventurally the NO and POP down on the rope with get the result -- eventually.

Its really hard to train or deter something when they dont do it at home!!! it frustrates me!! Keep it up that 7 year old went threw it to hes got some years on you ! if you doing that good hanging out just think how good your going to to when hes not showing it to the world!

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohh mines 3 as well!!

Dee Jay
Neonate
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have a 3 year old stallion that showed in two big shows this year. He was the ONLY stallion in the whole place with 300 other horses. We kept him away from the other horses, didnt stand in the group waiting to go into a class like western pleasure etc. lunged the beans out of him and also did the vicks thing, which worked.

His nick name is WOODY,, you figure that one out haha.. anyway, my guy is better at keeping it put away if hes in a class that he has to think - like reining or trail. In western pleasure I think he gets bored and likes to waggle the tackle all over the place. Its hard to get a good placing when your guy is the only stallion in a group of gals and geldings, but such is life. Im hoping he outgrows it, but in the meantime we ignore it as much as we can and his trainer will just tell him to put it away the rest of the time.

Chris Taylor
Neonate
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a 6 y.o 14.2 pony stallion that started competing at 4 years of age at In-Hand shows as well as low level showjumping and hunter shows. He has been to Pony Club too. He's the only pony stallion competing in our country that we're aware of and is ridden by 15 yr old girl. I can only re-inforce previous posts and congratulate you for not admonishing him when he drops or becomes erect. By not making a big deal of it and perhaps being able to recognise the signs prior to him doing it will allow you to get on top of it. Its perfectly normal behaviour, just not desirable at that time and hitting it or such like can have a negative effect on libido when he is required to breed due to the confusion in his mind. The biggest problem we have found is that despite wearing distinctive red S tags on his halter kids with mares will still walk up to him! We have some hippy oil on a rag which we wipe his nostrils with prior to going out and have never had a problem. He serves naturally as well as off the phantom. The over-riding principle with all behaviour is to ignore the bad, reward the good but thats starting a whole new topic....

Chris Taylor
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our boy is 6 now and we're often remarked to about how well behaved our stallion is and that's been in national magazines as well. We still take him out and show him in-hand as well as SJ and Showhunter. He loves riding cross-country so will keep working on his dressage and enter him in a One Day Event soon.

Chris Taylor
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a small botle of Meditation Oil that we put on a rag and rub around his nostrils, not a lot, if there are any oestrus mares out at the same competion venue. Had a look at the bottle but it doesn't mention what the contents are. If you go to your local health food store I'm sure they'll be able to guide you as to which oils have calming properties.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US