SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Keeping weight on a breeding stallion?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Keeping weight on a breeding stallion? « Previous Next »

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Welsh stallion who I got earlier this year. He is being collected once every couple of weeks, and he has lost a considerable amount of weight. Right now he is getting a flake of Grass hay in the morning, a flake of Alfalfa hay at night, and 1/2 a scoop of alfalfa pellets.

I would like to supplement him with some sort of grain, and was wondering what all of you use for your stallions?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would increase his hay intake first. Add another flake of grass hay at night with the alfalfa. If that doesn't work or he still needs a little extra, I use Strategy and beet pulp.

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you feeding alfalfa pellet, why not feed a balanced 12% feed with high fat?
I work with 2 older Section B Stallions that are collect about once a week. They are fed 1 scoop of Senior and 1/2 scoop of soaked beet pulp and 1/2 scoop of soaked alfalfa cubes twice aday and all the grass hay they want. And they still drop weight by the end of the season. Breeding season is a very stressful time for a stallion. The boys are feed this all year long as it take awhile after breeding season to get their weight backup and we like to have them a little heavy coming into breeding season.

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, I discussed some of this with my vet just now, and here is the new plan:

Free choice Grass hay (he really only eats when he is hungary, but I will keep an eye on him, he isnt your typical "eat everything they can get their lips on" pony), and his flake of Alfalfa at night. I had tried giving him some soaked beet pulp when I first got him, I couldnt get him to even touch it. My vet suggested either Strategy, or Omolene as well, I have some Omolene 200 that I am feeding my broodmares, I will have to check the label and make see if it's okay for stallions too.

This is my first year standing a breeding stallion, so I will definatly take the advice of having him heavy coming into breeding season. He was at the perfect weight going in, but he has gone downhill steadily. I had his teeth checked also, and they were fine.

Heather- Are those stallions in hard work as well? I am preparing for 3 inspections late summer/early fall, and he has got to be on the top of his game then. I may "copy" your feeding schedule if the increased hay intake, and addition of Strategy or Omolene doesnt work, if you dont mind of course :]

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you have a good plan :-) I'm actually a little worried myself about my stallion's weight this year. Every year he drops weight even if he's NOT breeding, just being around mares in heat gets him worked up and this year he is also in full time training so he is FIT and can't afford to drop any weight. I also would be curious Heather what you have previously done with show stallions.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stallion also gets thin when spring comes and mares are in heat. All that pent up frustration!

We use Strategy and I also add to that during his "sress" time the same feed I put my mares on...Youth. I also suppliment him with a weight-builder product, just helps him utilize the maximum potential of the grain. Once everyone gets bred and there aren't any in-heat mares around, he calms down and puts the weight back on. I also do what some may think is the "un-thinkable"...when everyone is pregnant and any babies have been weaned...my herd runs together. I turn my broodmares out with my stallion for 6 months of the year. It makes him happy because he has his girls with him, keeps my mares happy and it makes my gelding absolutely thrilled because he stops getting pestered to play stupid little stallion games!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha
1 of SECTION B stallions (13.2 hh, 22 years old) is riden 3 days a week 1st level dressage. The other is 12.2 about the same age and is not riden and a much fussier eater.

I would feed Ultium, lower protien (11.7) and twice the fat (12.4), check out the link:

http://equineexperience.com/products/ultium.asp

You might try Probios Paste or the powder if he will eat it, most do, it helps with digestion and Stimulates appetite.

When or if you introduce beet pulp start with 1 handfull of soaked beet pulp mixed with his grain, when 2 handful and so on. Corn oil is a good source of calories.

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for everybody's help and opinions! I will keep you updated on how my boy is doing :]

I will look into the Probios, and I have some beet pulp that my broodmares get daily, so I will start itroducing that as you suggested.

Thanks again, I just love this board! Everybody is so nice, and willing to give advice, and share their experiances!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US