SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ground collection problem...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Ground collection problem... « Previous Next »

Jamie Anderson
Neonate
Username: Jamiea

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to train an 8 year old stallion to collect from the ground... however, he's not really co-operating.

He's done several seasons collecting using a phantom, and was at the point where he no longer needed an estrus mare, and would just jump onto the dummy and be collected using a Missouri AV.

He becomes VERY aroused in the presence of a mare - estrus or non-estrus, and quickly acheives an erection and starts trying to mount. We are only able to use his stable because of the facilities, and the mare is walked past, or stood outside when we have attempted collections so far, so we don't have much space to play with.

As soon as I start to introduce the AV he either: rears immediately stands and comes down, then does nothing. Or, he starts backing away from the AV, or starts walking around his stable, with the AV on his penis. I think he's quite naughty, and has obivoulsy been allowed to jump on the phantom whenever he likes, as opposed to when the handler wants him to, but this makes him a little difficult to deal with.

We really need to get him collected like this, as there is no phantom and no jump mare at his present location, and mares are waiting! The best we've had is a single thrust on the ground before he rears or runs away... do I just need to be more patient? He's been like this for 5 sessions, spread over 2 days, each 10 days apart... Any ideas would be gratefully read/received!

Jamie

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie,
I am also using a stall as the collection site for training my stallion but haven't really had to much trouble so far.
I would suggest having 3 experienced hands to help get the job done until he understands things.
One could be at the side of his head to hold and manage him, one with the AV, and another that can be at his hip to help manage his movement.
You may want to place him up against the wall so that he can't move around as much and if he backs up he'll be stopped by the adjacent wall and just stuck in the corner.
I'm sure you will probably get alot more help and advice from more board members who have more experience with this problem but hang in their and be patient and eventually it will all come together.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US