SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Newbie needs some info

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Stallion Questions » Newbie needs some info « Previous Next »

kimberly male
Neonate
Username: Pawprints

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! Im new here as a poster, however I love reading the forums!! I have minis and I know most of you all have the normal size horses but my question would pertain to the large breeds as well as minis, so I would appreciate any help you can give me.My question is, if a colts testicles have not descended yet is he able to sire a foal?? The reason I ask is I have a stallion who didnt drop his unil November 2007, but in April 2007 he was breeding a mare.At that time his privates had not dropped and my hubby swears that it would have been impossible for him to sire at that time. The mare is heavy in foal and I know she was in heat at the end of April 2007 and by her size and all other indications, I feel that is when she was bred. So what are the chances that he sired a foal even though at that time he didnt have dropped testicles???

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Kimberly!

I believe that they have to be out of the abdomen, but they dont have to be "dropped" like a mature stallion. For example, I was very worried about my two year old stallion. It looked as though he hadnt dropped, so I had the vet look at him, and he said that both of the testicles were there, they had just not dropped like a mature stallions do. He said that he would be able to reproduce at this time, even though it didnt look as though he had dropped.

So to answer your question, yes, they can sire a foal if the testicles are out of the stallion's abdomen. In my case, you couldnt tell my colt is a stallion, but the vet said that he fealt both were there, and the chances are good that if I wanted to breed him, I could.

Hope that helped a little!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh, Kimberly....this is one area that differs a little from big horses to minis. I have seem MANY minis sire foals while "undropped". It is not an uncommon thing. Rule of thumb in the little guys is...when they start acting like a stallion...separate em! I've known yearlings to be completely breedable even when not dropped. Many times they are outside the ring, but not down in the sack....so, it's not impossible at all!! As a matter of fact, it's probable. If he was breeding in april, he was probably below the ring...especially if he dropped so soon after in november.
www.mysticrockminis.com

kimberly male
Neonate
Username: Pawprints

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much!! I didnt know how closely to watch my mare yet or if I still had time to let her be in the open field but I will just keep her in her stall now and continue to loose sleep till the baby comes!!!!!! Its kinda funny, I am a breeder of pomeranians, pugs and boston terriers and as exciting as it is having those litters and waiting on them, it just doesnt compare to the excitement of waiting on a foal that you dont know when it will be born!!

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep us updated!

Foals are so exciting, I just love them :D

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US